Thread: The Kingdom of Althar (My D&D Homebrew Setting!)

Map The Kingdom of Althar (My D&D Homebrew Setting!)

I'm really excited to share this one! Althar is my pride and joy. I ran my first D&D campaign as a DM in this bleak little country, and drawing the original map for this setting on paper while I was planning the campaign is what got me into actively pursuing cartography. Over the two years I ran that campaign I watched my players become incredibly attached to the setting, and we played our final session last summer. We're now starting a new campaign set 60 years before our first took place, during a period of war and turmoil, and I can't wait to return to the world.

There are so many little details of this map that I'm proud of, like the little settlement icons, which are loosely based on the icons used on the Gough Map, one of the earliest known maps of Britain. I drew this in Procreate on my iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil, with finishing details done in Photoshop. I couldn't decide on a style, so I created two versions, one full-colour with typed labels, and another parchment style, "in game" version with hand lettering. I still can't decide which is my favourite!

I hope you like them!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map of Althar - 2021 (Colour Version).jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	7.91 MB 
ID:	128629 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map of Althar - 2021 (Parchment Version).jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	5.99 MB 
ID:	128630

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Logo 2020 just moon.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	128633  
    Last edited by Arcane Atlas; 02-27-2021 at 01:13 PM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Both versions are marvelous! I love them! Great job!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Man this is such a great work...

I like the parchment one better and hope you dont mind that it goes right into my inspiration folder... Good job...

Great maps! The background texture is great, did you make it yourself or use a template as a model?

Looks great! I for one prefer the parchement style one. The only thing I'm not that keen on is the "noise" effect on the inside of the coastlines and the mountain shading, but other than that the style is really solid. Beautiful work with the hand lettering!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Looks great! I for one prefer the parchement style one. The only thing I'm not that keen on is the "noise" effect on the inside of the coastlines and the mountain shading, but other than that the style is really solid. Beautiful work with the hand lettering!
    That’s a fair critique! I tried a bit of stippling, but in hindsight I’m not sure how much I like it either. Thanks so much!

Really beautiful work! Clean, professional, an all round robust map.
    I agree with Kellerica about the stippling, it looks just a little out of place, although when viewed at 50% it just looks like a good texture.
    Great job, keep it up.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really great map! I must agree with the others with liking the parchment map more but both are great. I love the city icons, particularly the ones with the ship peaking out from the background.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Praise

I don't know if I agree with Kellerica on the coastline. I think it works fine. But, in the end do what looks good to you.

I really enjoy this map. The mountains, the icons, the texture(by the way what texture did you use? It works remarkably well.)
    Also, the way you did your font for all the different locations is quite effective. It definitely inspires me.
    All in all, a good map.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by smiler127 View Post
    Great maps! The background texture is great, did you make it yourself or use a template as a model?
    I used some of MapEffects (@MapEffects on Instagram) excellent free paper texture resources for the textures!