Thread: The Durgord Kingdom

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Default The Durgord Kingdom

Another day, another map. Here is the Durgord Kingdom, a mountainous dwarven kingdom set in the middle of the Storm Dam Mountains. The Durgord Kingdom is the second kingdom by that name. The first was destroyed by a rampage of dragons fleeing their own home thousands of years ago when a series of volcanic eruptions occurred. Many of the ruins are still visible or known and tales are told of deep mines that have yet to be reclaimed. I have also marked the tribes and nations surrounding the Durgord Kingdom.

This is a new style for me so let me know what you think!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Durgord Kingdom.png 
Views:	193 
Size:	6.74 MB 
ID:	129178
    Last edited by Arimel; 04-05-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Nicely done. Are you colouring after the drawing? I feel the hatches for the mountains could be a bit more dark, especially in the coloured part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nicely done. Are you colouring after the drawing? I feel the hatches for the mountains could be a bit more dark, especially in the coloured part.
    Thanks! I have been doing the coloring over the linework drawing. I agree that the color does slightly overshadow the ink, particularly in the areas with finer details. I should certainly use a slightly larger tip next time I do that so it is more visible afterwards.

Yes or place colour first and the hatches afterward?

I always worry that if I do the inking on top of the colored pencil that the color would rub off and mess up my pen tip. Is this a valid worry? I never really thought to question/test it before. I may do a few quick sketches to test this because this method certainly would make the maps a tad bit sharper.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I always worry that if I do the inking on top of the colored pencil that the color would rub off and mess up my pen tip. Is this a valid worry? I never really thought to question/test it before. I may do a few quick sketches to test this because this method certainly would make the maps a tad bit sharper.
    Liners will work over top of colored pencil, but I suggest wiping the colored area free of debris before working on it. The process goes well until the tip gets gunked up, preventing the ink from exiting properly. I don't know that it does any permanent damage to be honest, with enough coaxing, the tip returns to normal.

IR

PS I like you map, I haven't tried that manner of mountain before. The color overshadowing the liner can be alleviated by switching up the liner you're using, maybe go with a .01 so that the lines stand out more.
    Last edited by Adfor; 04-12-2021 at 09:24 AM.

I will give it a shot then and see where it goes! Thanks for the advice Adfor and Ilanthar.