Thread: Looking for some advice on how to make appealing simple/atlas-esque map

Wip Looking for some advice on how to make appealing simple/atlas-esque map

I'm trying to make a simple overview of a large continental mass. The map's purpose is to delineate specific subcontinental zones and regions within this larger continent, but I want it to be clean, easy to read and clear. I've made this attached map as a first test and while I was able to fit names for the major zones in large type, I do think it still feels empty, and somewhat uninformative as a result. It also I thinks leaves something to be desired in it's appeal to the eye.

What are some things I can add to make the map feel fuller without necessarily adding in labels for smaller features or for political entities? And what are the design details that I'm missing currently? And finally, although this may be too broad a question: what are the actual principles of political/non-physical map design I should know as a complete amateur, in regards to both art and labeling?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TestMap.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	130364  

My best recommendation is to look at maps that you like that serve a similar purpose and see how they were done (go to your favorite search engine and start with terms like "world map atlas" to see lots of styles). The more maps you look at, the more you'll get a feel for things that might help.

If you know where important geographic features such as rivers and mountain ranges are, you can use those as faded background information (even just really broad strokes of texture for mountains and simple lines for rivers can be useful). If you know where the map is on its globe (or on a flat world, if that's the case), a graticule will add some context and visual interest. Other elements such as wind rose, stylized border, and scale bar might be appropriate if they suit your intended map style. Simple coloring (probably as a nice set of pastels) will help to delineate the areas of interest and don't take a whole lot of effort.

ESRI has a number of articles available on mapmaking.

This seems to be doing the same job as the very simple world maps used in some elementary school classrooms to show the continents (and sometimes the major oceans). With just the landforms and the names of the continents, they are similarly "empty" compared with most maps, but that's a consequence of minimizing information load to focus on one specific type of information that requires few labels. One thing that these maps have that is lacking here is color. You might try coloring the areas to which each label applies to both add some visual interest and to make it clear where the boundaries are drawn where it would otherwise have ambiguity.

Guild Member

What software are you using? You could maybe colour the land using a radial gradient using a pastel colour if you just want to lose the white, or do basic biomes perhaps in muted colours?