Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October 2021 Challenge: The Overlook Hotel

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default October 2021 Challenge: The Overlook Hotel

I'm not sure if I'll have the time/skill/courage to finish this, but: I'm going to try and map out the Overlook Hotel from The Shining. Not in extreme detail (like, not every single floor, nook and cranny), but kind of an overview. Probably a fairly detailed first floor, then insets showing more detailed mini-maps of key locations (boiler room, Room 217, the kitchen, the Gold Room, Colorado Lounge, etc). I don't often map towns or buildings, and it's good to push my boundaries, so what the heck.

No picture yet, still in the planning stages. I'm not going to stay super-faithful to the layout of the hotel in the book, but it's already been changed multiple times, from Kubrick's film to the miniseries, to Doctor Sleep, so I guess this will be a 're-imagining'.

Goodie, goodie .
    Looking forward to see what you do with it, as I'm pretty confident in your "re-imagining" abilities .

Guild Member

Oh, don't forget to add the "Topiaries of Death."
    Can't wait to see this.

This is going to be good!

this gona be a great and scary project.

Part of the problem with mapping this is that Kubrick intentionally made the internal layout contradictory in many places. For example, when Jack uses the red bathroom off of the ballroom, he makes two right turns to get to the toilets, which would actually place the bathroom inside the ballroom. In the caretaker's rooms, there are windows in the living room and Jack & Wendy's room, but the only possible window is the one in the bathroom that Danny climbs out of - the other walls are all internal.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Part of the problem with mapping this is that Kubrick intentionally made the internal layout contradictory in many places. For example, when Jack uses the red bathroom off of the ballroom, he makes two right turns to get to the toilets, which would actually place the bathroom inside the ballroom. In the caretaker's rooms, there are windows in the living room and Jack & Wendy's room, but the only possible window is the one in the bathroom that Danny climbs out of - the other walls are all internal.
    It's "Movie Magic!"

You could try some "Escher effect", playing with perspective and impossible architecture .

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    You could try some "Escher effect", playing with perspective and impossible architecture .
    Yes please! It would ramp up the effect of "it isn't as it seems". I'm loving the idea, can't wait to see what you come up with.

IR

As I suspected, my skills and time (mostly my time) are not up to this and I'm gonna have to bow out. I still want to attempt this, but after half a dozen false starts I'm starting to get frustrated. Also, I'm going to be away for a few days, and won't have access to my computer. Ah well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast