Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October 2021 Challenge: The House on Horner Hill

Default October 2021 Challenge: The House on Horner Hill

So this is technically a remake for me, but the spooky feeling has always remained. The idea was originally derived from the Matrix Reloaded. At the end of the chateau fight scene, the suave antagonist guy exits through double doors that are closed behind him. When Neo opens them, he is in the Himalayan Mountain range, hundreds of miles away.

So I thought to myself, how about if when you entered the house, when you went to exit, you were on another plane of existence? And so the House on Horner Hill was born.

Horner Hill is a real place, including the mansion, which is occupied by the Mellon family, an international banking family that resides in what I call my "back yard". I've been on site for maintenance, and let me tell you, it is like 5 houses smashed together into a ridiculously extravagant estate. I'm not taking any floor plans from the mansion, but rather just using the name, which using alliteration, has a creepy feel all its own. So without further ado, here's the beginnings of a border and title!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The House on Horner Hill01, by Ian Ringler.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	131470

Once I finish the side bordering, I'll proceed into the mansion layout, which will be a top down perspective. I plan to use watercolor for coloring, unsure if I will use pens, I love the feel of pencil and watercolor together, so I'm pretty sure that will stay the medium.

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 10-18-2021 at 11:17 PM.

That top border element is looking quite good, I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Very nice start! Those moons make me both think of Warhammer & Méliès.
    Looking forward to the next steps.

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    That top border element is looking quite good, I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this.
    Thanks Will! I'm in the process of laying the grid down so I know my building perimeters, so that I know how far out the side borders can expand. I'm thinking some dead trees on either side, for spooky effect, maybe some voodoo-esque trinkets to add to the haunted aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice start! Those moons make me both think of Warhammer & Méliès.
    Looking forward to the next steps.
    The highest of compliments, thanks Ilanthar! I didn't take any influence from either, but now that you mention it, they sure do! I just went in knowing I wanted to draw two moons with faces, and that's how they turned out. The right one is supposed to look decrepit, the other, disturbed.

Managed to get the layout done, contemplating what I want to change from the original. The layout will remain mostly the same, but I have a four wing approach to think about with the design. The first floor will be 2 wings, with 2 wings upstairs. Also going to do a basement as well, though for the challenge I'm going to stick with just the first floor due to time restrictions, as I'm starting a new job on the 25th.

Name:	PXL_20211016_130036675.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	131520

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 10-18-2021 at 11:17 PM.

That's already pretty cool.

That looks amazing so far! Such a clean and precise map.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    That's already pretty cool.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    That looks amazing so far! Such a clean and precise map.
    Thanks a bunch! I've really toned down the precise on this one, I wanted to let the little imperfections show through more.

Name:	PXL_20211019_012519409.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	131560

Got all the doors on, contemplating whether I should add more secret doors, because why not in a spooky mansion? Next will be details such as furniture and the like.

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 10-22-2021 at 04:19 PM.

Greetings fellows!

Name:	PXL_20211022_201139927.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	131585

Beginning to lay some tiles down, and fill in the walls. Some of the chambers I have to fill in are still up in the air as to what they will be, but a bit of research should give some insight into medieval living, so that I can figure that out. I should be ready for color once that step is finished.

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 10-22-2021 at 11:44 PM.

Nice creapy house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast