Thread: Notes from Djalinheird

Map Notes from Djalinheird

My Love,
    I apologise for the delay since my last message. Perhaps it was not even that long, though the days spent without word or contact seem to stretch longer while we are apart. I am also fairly sure the mail time between here and Kelvanra is getting longer… Nevertheless, I have had much to occupy my time.

I mentioned in my last letter I was heading out on expedition. I now return and, while I am more at home among the cold, am very thankful for the warmth of a hearth fire. Djalinheird is a specifically harsh slice of hell. It is at a peak where even glaciers run from it. But I guess us folk being as we are – we love to find the most extreme climbs to call home. Not that many do to be fair. There is a very small, tight knit community mostly dedicated to keeping watch and maintenance of the signal fire upon the highest peak. I travelled with an old friend visiting a relation up there. We had heard more and more reports of Krelinbhaian from up that way and I, being me, had to take a look.

I was only there for about a week but through several short expeditions from base camp but I found so much to note down. I have enclosed copies of some of my observations and a map of the area but will not bore you with the endless other pages of research notes I collated while away. We did in fact sight a Krelinbhaian - more than once. I am fairly sure it was the same specimen. I could not find volunteers to help me search for a nest though given their territorial nature that is perhaps for the best. I would rather keep all my limbs intact for when we next meet…
    There were a few Djäbhaian we spotted circling the thermals on the journey up but noticeably few once we entered Krelin territory. Which was what made the nest we found rather curious. It must have been an especially brave or foolish ice drake to have nested this close (though again the same could have been said for us). I have to abandon professionalism here and say, Djäbhaian hatchlings are quite possibly the most adorable things ever. They look so soft and fluffy! I wished I could have spent longer observing but I did not wish to hang around if the parents returned.
    I have seen enough results of Djumhiir attacks to know to keep well off the glacial ice but had to venture down south from Carneam on a foraging expedition. Off the ice, in the snow and scree covered foothills we found a gathering of Djumhiir that had been attacked, most likely by our best guess, by Djäbhaian.

I am almost back home. If you have sent your own letter I apologise for not responding to anything it may contain but will do so forthwith.
    How have your days been? Hopefully warmer than my own. Are the animals keeping well?

I remain ever yours,
    Ifrir
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NotesFromDjalinheirdS.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	6.13 MB 
ID:	132193

A map for the July 2021 Challenge, incorporating my Guildworld land, Barychd Fraa, and Ifrir my guild character (not made a thread just yet). He keeps regular contact with his partner, Kelrik, and the above is a letter to him (hmm I wonder whose guild character that could be...)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

This is amazing! The mountains and map look great but the drawings are next level. The lines are so clear and the details came out superbly - definitely bookmarking for future inspiration!

Nice Leonardesque style !!