Thread: November/December 2021 Challenge: 桜の下 Ft. Xploringmap

Default November/December 2021 Challenge: 桜の下 Ft. Xploringmap

Ehyo!
    When this challenge started I was invested by a weird hype. I was so excited about making a collaboration. But I was not aware how much my insecurities and impostor syndrome would have tried to step in. Lol. I was conscious I wanted to participate with someone who had a different set of skills, someone able to do what I was totally unable to do. My luck that my first choice said yes when I asked for his collaboration!

So, thank you so much Xploringmap for the chance!
    I know I was not the best partner, especially when it's about the timing (lol). But you have been really kind and accommodating, willing to make this weird match work. And I'm so glad you have been with me till the end!

About the map.
    I had a vision in my mind. I wanted so badly to make an Asian-themed map. -Don't ask why- The difficulty was to make two different visions match, and I'm honestly happy with what we did at the end

The idea was about a long scroll, ornate with red/black ink, and with far eastern drawings. There would've been a watercolored map with one or two locations, and the dungeon.
    In the end, the project changed a lot. It was hard for me to find a good balance for watercolor in a top-down view. Especially because I tried to do it with a single color. Besides that, I think it was an interesting process! ...And here we are. I can say I was the one late here, lol. Xploringmap was so good, responsive, and always ready <3 I think I couldn't make it without you!
    Thanks again!

So people, let us know what you think about the results!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1b.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	9.27 MB 
ID:	132223
    ### Latest WIP ###
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

I have to thank Ren for suggesting this collaboration. After she proposed the Asian themed style map there was a storm of ideas and we tried to combine everything, and after many different tries and changes we came to this result. I agree with Ren that the difficult part was to combine two different styles, she did great work and I am very satisfied with what we present. She is an artist that I admire and I am very glad I had the chance to work with.

This is looking great, excellent work guys. I'm glad to see that we actually have a competition now with two great entries.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Looks great, glad you got it submitted in time!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Awesome! Such an artful piece full of striking colors

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Cool! This almost looks like ink and watercolour, some of my favourite mediums. If you did the "ink" drawings in one colour instead of overlaying red and black, it'd be hard to tell that this is digital.

Now I wish for a watercolour challenge, I want to see more of this style.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it came out very nicely. I'd like to see it without the inner rectangular border, though (between all those nifty character drawings and the actually mappy bits). So much of it is covered that it doesn't do much as a border and it's just sort of there, being an unnecessary break in the background color. I think the map sections itself very well without it. That's my the only thing I can suggest to make this even better. And maybe I'm wrong, but if the elements are assembled in a way that you can take it out easily, give it a try. I think you'll like it.