Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February 2022 Challenge: Map of Bleak Bones Bay

Default February 2022 Challenge: Map of Bleak Bones Bay

After entering a few re-master challenges last year, there weren't that many maps left for me to choose from so I will do a remake of my Map of Bleak Bones Bay.
    It was my very first CG Light Challenge map in July 2019 and you can see the original WIP's here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=44665

I'll do a digital version this time to make it a true HD remaster
    Here are a few start-up WIP's:

The original pen and paper map on a new digital canvas:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BleakBonesBay2022WIP1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	132639

The new linework in progress:

Name:	BleakBonesBay2022WIP2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1,012.8 KB 
ID:	132640

I decided to start with a larger canvas this time and I tilted the original map slightly to make it more interesting to look at.

And a new WIP:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	BleakBonesBay2022WIP3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	447.6 KB 
ID:	132641

I wanted to do something different for the ocean this time and I came across Japanese wave patterns while searching for ideas on the net.
    I'm aware Misty also used something similar for her Map of Middle Earth so props to her for the idea

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	BleakBonesBay2022WIP4.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	132659

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

I like how you're literally doing approaching your remaster map from a different angle! Wave effects are always fun to play with, so will be cool to see how this plays out.

Cool! This was one of my favourite maps from back then! I hope the pig is making a comeback, with the cute ships and treasure too.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I like how you're literally doing approaching your remaster map from a different angle! Wave effects are always fun to play with, so will be cool to see how this plays out.
    Wasn't that the challenge? A HD render of an old map but with new experiences and techniques used?

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Cool! This was one of my favourite maps from back then! I hope the pig is making a comeback, with the cute ships and treasure too.
    Offcourse they will have a comeback Kisachik!

Never expected taking a break from cartography for almost a year would have this much impact; I just couldn't get the scaling of the mountains right.
    Still need to add ridges and whatnot but the base is finally there...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	BleakBonesBay2022WIP5.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	132681

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Never expected taking a break from cartography for almost a year would have this much impact; I just couldn't get the scaling of the mountains right.
    Haha, I know the feeling. Trying to shake that rust off, but it comes back quickly. New mountains are looking nicely scaled to me! It's already looking like such a different aesthetic to your original so fascinated to see how you update it.

I love how this is turning out! And I'm a big fan of japanese waves too!

Quote Originally Posted by Draghetto View Post
    I love how this is turning out! And I'm a big fan of japanese waves too!
    Hope you're not to dissapointed because of the changes then Draghetto

I wasn't that happy with the overall look of the map, it seemed bland, so I changed the water and continent color.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	BleakBonesBay2022WIP6.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	132794

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast