Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February 2022 Challenge: Trezu Remastered

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Default February 2022 Challenge: Trezu Remastered

My first post in a while here and hoping to get back into mapping after a bit of an absence over the last year or so - and what better way than through a challenge!

I'm going to revisit one of my early challenge maps called Trezu.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mage's Commission 2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	132652

It was originally from a Lite Challenge back in 2016.

Trezu was one of my earlier digital maps so it will be interesting to give it another stab. I'll probably keep all the places the same, but may rework the coast a bit, whilst keeping the same overall feel to it.

Looking forwards to giving it a go!

Hey man, glad to see you around again! Looking forward to seeing this one remade.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thanks Kell! Nice to be back and still seeing lots of great maps being made here!

First update to my remaster. Put in some of the basics of the map. Coastline is pretty much there (undecided on cliff faces or not yet...). Mountains are mostly in place and hills too! River design I'm undecided about so they are placeholders for now, but should fit better when colour (hopefully) starts to go in. Starting adding in some of the land texture or just experimenting a bit with it. Lots of trees (yay!) to add in yet! Happy with the start so far. I may make the key features (tower, lonely mountains, volcano) as little insets instead of being directly on the map, but will decide later...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Trezu Remastered v1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	306.7 KB 
ID:	132666
    Last edited by Greg; 02-09-2022 at 12:13 PM.

Hi Greg!

This is looking good so far, I like the detail. The coastline looks way more eroded in this version, as if time has passed too.

The original thread doesn't mention, but I'm curious what that large stick in the crater is, and is it coming back?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at them side by side it's nice to see the experience go to work on the new one. Will keep an eye on this one Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Hi Greg!

This is looking good so far, I like the detail. The coastline looks way more eroded in this version, as if time has passed too.

The original thread doesn't mention, but I'm curious what that large stick in the crater is, and is it coming back?
    Haha, breadstick! I guess it kinda does look like that especially with the colour! It was supposed to be a Wizard's tower, and it has made a return, but slightly more refined this time, though perhaps not as tasty...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Looking at them side by side it's nice to see the experience go to work on the new one. Will keep an eye on this one Greg
    Thanks Marc, yes, it's very strange revisiting something I did so long ago and wondering why I did some things the way I did.

Anyway, update with some more details in and some new ideas for the border building up. Trees have started being adding, but many more to come. Added in some more hills and some more land texturing, but still plenty to do particularly with forests (not sure why I chose such a painstaking style for them, haha...) Will start experimenting with colours soon I think, but lots to get on with still.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Trezu Remastered v2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	746.8 KB 
ID:	132746

WOW! This looks great!

realy nice tower, look forward to see that finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Draghetto View Post
    WOW! This looks great!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcolino View Post
    realy nice tower, look forward to see that finished.
    Thanks both! Managed to get a fair bit done since the last update. Colours aren't final yet and more texture is needed. Labels will be tweaked and more added. And the big thing is obviously the border left to fill out - might try and get an illustration in there if I get the chance.

Found adding colour in to this pretty tricky after not doing it for a while. I've also taken out the mountain hatch shadow and just put in a shaded one (I may finish up with 2 versions, in which case a B&W one will still have the hatching).

Anyway, here's the update!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Trezu Remastered v3.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	132869

Possibly final update!

Not completely happy with the labels yet, so we'll see...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Trezu Remastered v4.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	132875

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast