Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adfor's Traditional Scrawlings

I like the look of this so far Ian. I often find that maps drawn on graph paper look very square, but this looks very organic and the shapes are complex and interesting.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Big thanks, Will!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20240106_103318163.MP.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	136851

I sometimes enjoy looking back 21 years to my very first dungeon, just to put in perspective how far I've come in that time.

This space was very fun to draw for a few reasons:
    1. It's my own world, so no limitations on design.
    2. In the world's lore, a Saint of the time roused the dwarf clan from a very long slumber, only to lead them to extinction during a time of widespread war. Afterward, in their honor, the paladins of the order utilized their halls as a parish, and have remained there ever since.
    3. This is the only map I've drawn that was put on paper as built by a long-past dwarf clan, and it's contents designed as something entirely different. My players had frequently stopped here as a checkpoint in their travels. With the story in place as it was when we had to postpone playing, I had some really great ideas to throw at them. Yep, it's Castle of the Winds style; come back to the hamlit after adventuring for awhile, and everyone is dead. The foe hath risen from the depths once again!

Also, as a random side note because it's the day: 15 months sober. Absolutely loving life y'all.

IR

Name:	PXL_20231226_110341826.MP.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	6.73 MB 
ID:	136852

Had the itch for some overland randoms. 4x11in Arches paper, H & 2H Staedtler, Arteza watercolors, and a small amount of Copic liner pen. I want to use this one as a sort of tutorial on how I go about laying down my style.

Name:	PXL_20231226_110429764.MP.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	136853

IR

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post

Name:	PXL_20231226_110341826.MP.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	6.73 MB 
ID:	136852

Had the itch for some overland randoms. 4x11in Arches paper, H & 2H Staedtler, Arteza watercolors, and a small amount of Copic liner pen. I want to use this one as a sort of tutorial on how I go about laying down my style.

Name:	PXL_20231226_110429764.MP.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	136853

IR
    This looks incredible. I am always so impressed the unique styles for mountains another features that you come up with. I really like the red trees on this one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    This looks incredible. I am always so impressed the unique styles for mountains another features that you come up with. I really like the red trees on this one as well.
    The kind words are appreciated!

The mountain style is as old as my cartography, I feel like I picked it up somewhere, but God only knows where. It has served me well in the meantime.

As for the rest, you can thank the Guild for the exposure, and maybe a little acknowledgement should go out to the power of perseverance.

IR

PS:

Name:	PXL_20240113_103806744.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	136871

I really love this color, but I'm just hoping I haven't made an oversight, and applied a color too bold. I'm going to ink this one I believe, but probably as I design the contents for my players.
    Last edited by Adfor; 01-13-2024 at 06:15 AM.

...and with a little push I've drafted the final edges for the complex, boy did it pop that yellow!

Name:	PXL_20240116_223418349.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	136884

Now that the main ink is applied, I can say that I'm very happy with the shape of it. It's a weird to think about, but the variety of shape and subtle symmetry play a huge role in how appealing a dungeon map is to the eye.

Does it look like a dwarfen citadel?

IR

PS One last update before bed, as I was able to put a decent amount of time into the browns, and the only outside area.

Name:	PXL_20240117_030502585.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	136886
    Last edited by Adfor; 01-16-2024 at 10:14 PM.

Great line work and colouring so far, and that mad, hand added dot grid... I don't know how you manage to add your sepia pen over the pencil so precisely. I can't wait to see more details on this, your style is one of my favourites.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12