Thread: How to create custom heightmap for fantasy maps using Quadspinner Gaea

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I gave this method another try using this randomly generated continent from Asgar's generator. As you will notice when you compare to the final map it ISN'T THE SAME. This is because GAEA works with a square canvas, and I forgot to change the canvas which the continent was on to be a square. Oh well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nesia 2022-04-01-23-42.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	133158

The main differences this time around:

1. Eliminated some unnecessary nodes
    2. Improved the heightmap significantly by evening the input nodes using Clipping and Clamping on the ones which were overly exaggerated to ensure none of them were dominating the others when combining. This also allowed more variations in the landscape with out too much extra help, though I still used a manual mask to make some of the peaks more jagged.
    3. Improved the erosion sequence and added rivers using the HydroFX + Rivers nodes to carve basic waterflows and the Flow Lookdev node to generate rainfall and create the basin areas.

Name:	Nesia node chart.png 
Views:	163 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	133159

There are still more areas to improve and some completely different methods to try within Gaea, but I think this is a pretty nice looking heightmap. Maybe I will turn it into something later.

Name:	Nesia heightmap.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	599.2 KB 
ID:	133160
    Last edited by Turambar; 04-02-2022 at 08:11 PM.