Thread: Mar-May '22 Lite Challenge: Marshal Gederido's retreat through the Anguonan Basin

Default Mar-May '22 Lite Challenge: Marshal Gederido's retreat through the Anguonan Basin

Hi all,

Some absolutely amazing entries for this Lite Challenge I decided that I wanted to throw my hat into the ring, and give it a try!

Instead of having the shape be represented through a lake or coastline, I decided that I wanted it to be caused by mountains. I also wanted to practice fantasy topography from scratch too.

The general idea is that this map is going to depict an arid basin, with some army movements through as well akin to some historical atlases, well that is the plan at least. To do this I mocked up this contour map below using Inkscape, and while rough it helped get the job done.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terrain Stacked.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	133319

I then imported these into Wilbur, ran some erosion, and got this heightmap:

Name:	Terrain Heightmap.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	8.67 MB 
ID:	133320

From there, I then used GIMP 2 to create a hillshade effect with it. It's not the best hillshade, but I think it works.

Name:	Terrain Hill Shade Smaller.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	7.45 MB 
ID:	133321

EDIT: I had a go at generating the hillshade without the use of Wilbur, instead using a gaussian blur on my original contour map, producing this:

Name:	Terrain Hill Shade Smallere.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	6.48 MB 
ID:	133322
    Last edited by Rubikia; 04-25-2022 at 07:29 AM.
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com

Welcome to the Challenge Rubikia! Another cool unique version of Map this Shape! Thanks for sharing your process.