Thread: Modern Maps: Air Routes Within Canada

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pretty neat idea.

The only thing that I see that might be an issue is provinces/territories of the same colour. Like Quebec and Nunavut look almost the same to me. Same with Nova Scotia and BC. PEI looks like it's the same colour as the US. Or maybe they are different but it's not saturated or dark enough to really tell.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Pretty neat idea.

The only thing that I see that might be an issue is provinces/territories of the same colour. Like Quebec and Nunavut look almost the same to me. Same with Nova Scotia and BC. PEI looks like it's the same colour as the US. Or maybe they are different but it's not saturated or dark enough to really tell.
    I don't think it really matters that two regions share the same colour as long as they're clearly separated from one another by at least one other region. No one is going to think that Nova Scotia is part of British Colombia. The border between Québec and Nuavut however is less distinct. I assume it's somewhere near the northern entrance to Hudson Bay, but which islands exactly belong to which is not clear.

I think this comes down to the old four color theorem, which states that no more than four colors are required to color the regions of any map so that no two adjacent regions have the same color. There are way more than four here (which might give the viewer the false impression that each region is supposed to have its own colour). I think if DEWline went for the four color option instead, the map might actually be easier to read – although I don't think it's very hard to read at all, except maybe the Québec-Nunavut thing. If Nunavut had been given the same color as Ontario, there wouldn't have been any confusion.

But I really think this is a minor issue. All in all it's a great map, easy to understand and pleasant to look at. Good job!
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 08-24-2022 at 05:19 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!