Quote Originally Posted by Koroliov8 View Post
Hello,
I am new here, but I spent a decent amount of time looking through tutorials but still couldn't find a satisfying solution yet, so decided to ask.

I want to create a map of Europe or any other place for that matter, but with real world terrain, not random, but real, lets say real Alps or Carpathian mountains. How do I do that? Lets say I have black and white heightmap? whats next? maybe there is a tutorial for that but I have not found it yet?

Best regards,
Curious one
Creating satellite style mountains in Photoshop can be done using a combination of several tools and techniques. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you get started:

Step 1: Create a new document
Open Photoshop and create a new document with a white background. You can set the size and resolution based on your preference.

Step 2: Draw the basic shapes
Select the Polygonal Lasso Tool from the toolbar and draw the basic shapes of the mountains. You can use a reference image to get an idea of the shape and size of the mountains.

Step 3: Add color to the mountains
Fill the mountains with a base color. You can use a light brown or gray color for this. Use the Paint Bucket Tool to fill the selected area.

Step 4: Add highlights and shadows
To add depth to the mountains, create a new layer above the base color layer and use the Brush Tool to paint highlights and shadows. Use a lighter color for the highlights and a darker color for the shadows.

Step 5: Add texture
Create a new layer and use the Clouds filter to add texture to the mountains. Go to Filter > Render > Clouds. Then, change the blending mode of the layer to Overlay.

Step 6: Add details
Add more details to the mountains by creating a new layer and using the Brush Tool to add rocks, trees, and other elements. You can also use textures from other images or photos to add more realism.

Step 7: Add a background
Finally, add a background to your image. You can use a simple gradient or add a photo of a landscape as the background.

That's it! With these steps, you can create a satellite style mountain image in Photoshop.