Thanks Straf. I think we both get a compass as we are tied with 4 votes each, so congratulations to you too. I really like your map, though for me the faded ordinance map appears a little too faded.

Thanks for your helpful comments! I was too lazy with the patterns and used what is immediately available in GIMP, which is two different densities of horizontal hashings. If my layers are still separated, I'll see if I can just rotate the map 90 degrees before filling the second area with the pattern. The different blur in the roads is likely because I started working at a lower resolution, then increased it halfway, which made the older elements blurry. I will steal your idea of using the side bar to give some explanatory note and, when not too lazy, post it up eventually in finished maps. Even if I don't, I feel I have learned something, which makes it worth it.

If we keep up tieing, we can square off twice more in the lite challenge before going for gold. Finally, thanks Bogie for running this. It really was the theme set that got me working on this.