Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book Illustration Peek

Default Book Illustration Peek

Been awhile y'all, hope all's well.

Working on a map for a book to be released in August, busy busy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230713_222706662.MP.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	136017

I'm fond of the compass rose, thoughts?

IR

Very nice, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this one.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

This looks really good. I like your sigil and how you worked it in to the piece. Pretty awesome.
    View my website and Instagram

It's been a crazy year y'all, a fabulous type of crazy.

Still making steps towards finishing this. I was unable to meet the deadline, due to a new career path opening up, and absolutely taking off. Luckily, the writer and publisher agreed to save it for the second book, and possible reprint the first with the map included.

The illustrations are turning out lovely!

Name:	Screenshot_20231027-125034.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	136493

IR

This is looking amazing Ian. Congratulations on the new career path as well, I hope you're enjoying it.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

What do you use to draw your maps? I want to try it.

Is it a dip pen and inks? Watercolour? Fine liners? I've seen similar line thickness only once, someone was streaming some lettering project using a glass dip pen.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would love to see more of the full map as soon as you're clear to show it! Congrats!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! It's been encouraging to get back to mapping, even with all of the drastic changes that are occuring in my life currently. I feel as though I have discerned a definitive style for myself with this piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    What do you use to draw your maps? I want to try it.

Is it a dip pen and inks? Watercolour? Fine liners? I've seen similar line thickness only once, someone was streaming some lettering project using a glass dip pen.
    This one is fine liners; Copic, Prismacolor, & a small amount of Micron. Arteza Watercolors. I use varying degrees of line thickness depending on what I'm going for, but generally it is to define depth & shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    This is looking amazing Ian. Congratulations on the new career path as well, I hope you're enjoying it.
    Thanks Will! I'm a painter, funny enough. The only difference is that it's new construction homes, which we're in about 3-4 at any given time. It's a lot of fun! It also lends well to my artistic endeavors.

I'm officially working at the city now, which is all that's left, so look forward to the release fairly soon.

Toodles!

IR

Do you mean house painting? Like, with huge brushes, colouring the walls? If so, what a drastic change of scale that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Do you mean house painting? Like, with huge brushes, colouring the walls? If so, what a drastic change of scale that is.
    Indeed! I paint for a development company that builds around the Pittsburgh suburbs. We're in 3-4 new construction houses at any given time, so it has been quite the adjustment! All in all I love it, as it provides me with a sense of fulfillment, and I genuinely have fun at work every day working for a small crew that I adore.

Name:	PXL_20231111_194825704.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	136579

Name:	PXL_20231111_202023623.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	6.11 MB 
ID:	136580

A few more tid-bits for y'all!

IR