Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August 2023 Challenge: Armea, Land of the Four Lamps

Wip August 2023 Challenge: Armea, Land of the Four Lamps

Here's my first WIP on Armea, a flat world floating in space and lit by four lamps (to be added). Loosely inspired by Middle Earths' Age of Lamps in the Silmarillion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP 1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	5.82 MB 
ID:	136162

### Latest WIP ###

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Good to see you jump into the challenge These challenges are always a great place to test things out. Anyway good luck and have fun!

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Good to see you jump into the challenge These challenges are always a great place to test things out. Anyway good luck and have fun!
    Thanks! This one is definitely something a bit new for me.

Here's my next update.

Name:	WIP  2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	5.94 MB 
ID:	136165

### Latest WIP ###
    Last edited by Turambar; 08-06-2023 at 03:35 PM.

It has been a productive lazy Sunday, so here's one last update for the day.

Name:	WIP  3.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	6.34 MB 
ID:	136166

### Latest WIP ###

I was able to get quite a bit more done. I am not sold on the frame, never my strong suit. Next up labelling and some final details.

Name:	WIP  4.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	7.98 MB 
ID:	136175

### Latest WIP ###
    Last edited by Turambar; 08-09-2023 at 05:51 PM.

Ok, I think this one is pretty much done unless I think of some additional ways to improve it, or decide to redo the frame.

Armea is a flat world floating in space, lit by the by four lamps at each corner: Orphis, Teleskar, Farranar, and Garmond. The center of the continent remains dark aside from the volcanic Fire Lands and the daily passage of the Firemoon dragon.

Name:	WIP  5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	7.94 MB 
ID:	136176

### Latest WIP ###

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Nice update!

One thing I do want to point out, I assume the top cloud is meant to signify the dragon's trail at the bottom, though the cut off point for the top one being off kilter from the bottom one's exit point point doesn't really make it fit.

Still, good progress.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Nice update!

One thing I do want to point out, I assume the top cloud is meant to signify the dragon's trail at the bottom, though the cut off point for the top one being off kilter from the bottom one's exit point point doesn't really make it fit.
    Thanks!

The Dragon's trail is supposed to show an orbit around the flat plane of the world. When you say the cut off point is off kilter, you are referring to where the trail goes "beneath" the world plane at each end? If so I was assuming a not perfectly linear line for the trail on the underside of the plane, but if it looks too weird I could potentially straighten it.

No, the place you drew it makes perfect sense to me, Turambar, for a curved path... what would sell it is if you moved the bottom piece a little further out in the arch so we can clearly see it arching into the arch.

I like it. I can think of an improvement though... light the bezel frame where the lamps are! There's a shadow on the frame facing towards the lamps in the corner bumpers. I'd also make the text size visible without zooming in on a screen because that's how it's most likely to be viewed. I'd also add thematically colored gems that go into the frame in the openings shaped like 0s!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    No, the place you drew it makes perfect sense to me, Turambar, for a curved path... what would sell it is if you moved the bottom piece a little further out in the arch so we can clearly see it arching into the arch.

Thanks Ti! I assume you mean the curve in the dragon's trail on the bottom? That's a good idea, I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    I like it. I can think of an improvement though... light the bezel frame where the lamps are! There's a shadow on the frame facing towards the lamps in the corner bumpers. I'd also make the text size visible without zooming in on a screen because that's how it's most likely to be viewed. I'd also add thematically colored gems that go into the frame in the openings shaped like 0s!
    Are you referring to adding some glow from the lamps on the frame corners? If so, another good idea I should add. I will try adjusting some of the text sizes as well, though I also don't want the text to cover up the map too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast