Thread: How to trace rivers?

Default How to trace rivers?

Hello, I'm looking for help on Campaign Cartographer 3. I am tracing a hand drawn sketch I imported into CC3. I am creating the rivers with the "smooth path" tool, then I go back and edit the rivers with the "node edit" tool. It has been pretty frustrating because I can't figure out how to exactly manipulate the river. It's kind of trial and error moving the rivers around. In other programs, like Inkscape, when I manipulate curves it has little handles that I can use to move the curves precisely. Is there a way to do something like this in CC3?
    TIA

There's not a way to do visible edit handles in CC3, but using Show Frames (Ctrl+F) will show the lines connecting the individual nodes as if the curve were the uninterpolated polygon. Being able to see where the frame bends makes it easier to hit the nodes to move things. It's certainly not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but it's much easier than trying to guess where the handles might be.

Putting in edit handles for path nodes is on my list of things to do, but I don't have anything resembling a schedule for when that feature might get implemented or released.

Thanks for the Ctrl+F tip. It does help.

I renamed the imported file [Click menu->Draw->Insert File] in File Explorer without realizing it would break the link in CC3. Now instead of the hand drawing I have a big red 'X'. Is there a way to view the properties/path/name of the inserted file so I can re-associate the file to the new file name?

Use the EDIT command (I can never remember what obscure place in the UI it hides under), click on your image, and you'll get a dialog that includes the path to your image.

My biggest single gripe with the Campaign Cartographer series is that it's so very non-discoverable. I can't browse the menu to see all of the same options that I can get to on the toolbars and I never seem able to remember that you can right-click on the toolbar buttons to get additional menus because there is absolutely no visual feedback about that. Command-line entries are, of course, pretty much undiscoverable by design...

For fastest service with questions on ProFantasy products, they do have a forum at https://forum.profantasy.com and there are usually folks there who can answer questions more quickly than I am likely to do.
    Last edited by waldronate; 08-27-2023 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks! and I just posted there and they are very quick. Thanks again!!

Hi Centipede

I picked up your question on the PF forum and answered it there, but for anyone else I'll paste it here as well:

First I recommend that you move the insert image to the same location as your drawing and keep them together for good.

To edit the link use the Numeric Edit button and select your image. A dialog will open that will allow you to navigate to the correct location of the image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	numeric edit dialog.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	136238

Find your image file and OK the absolute link, then this dialog. For some reason that brings up the absolute dialog a second time, but just ok it. So that's 3 OK clicks.