Thread: Nassius and Electra -- Detailed Topographical Map

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Map Nassius and Electra -- Detailed Topographical Map

Hello Guild,

Here's another effort to create some eye-popping topography, created with the help of worldbuilding pasta's valuable feedback. Please critique this map, and let me know how I'm progressing in my quest to hone my cartographic skills.

Thank you!

Peter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nassius Electra Normal.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	136236

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nassius Electra Relief 22.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	7.66 MB 
ID:	136237

Well done! The intricate coastline are incredibly realistic. My only critique is the picture at the bottom right, which looks like a satellite photograph from distance, but when you look more closely, its clear the planet surface is just the Wilbur output, which is a bit of a jarring contrast. I like the concept, but would recommend nixing it unless you wanted to spend time to render the planet with more realistic texturing for a satellite image.

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Thank you Turambar!

I tried to play with the satellite image to make it look more realistic, but with Wilbur's lighting options I could only go so far. To hide some of the topography, I've added some volumetric clouds, using a cloud texture warped with Photoshop's perspective tool. Someone on Reddit recommended that I download "Space Engine" to have access to better cloud rendering options. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm leery about spending the $90, especially not knowing what I'm buying. Or is there a better way to render satellite images using Photoshop?

Thanks for any feedback.

Peter

I think you can get space engine versions before 0.980 for free, not sure if it has the required rendering; otherwise there are I think blender tutorials floating around, which might be annoying but preferable to dropping that much cash