Thread: Vidarheim - The Silent Realm, a post-Ragnarök world, with a new pantheon of gods form

Blog Entries

Default Vidarheim - The Silent Realm, a post-Ragnarök world, with a new pantheon of gods form

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vidarheim - The Silent Realm with Info Small.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	6.57 MB 
ID:	136362

Background

I made this map over the course of several months, spending over 100 hours on it. Made in entirely Photoshop. There's a lot of lore and worldbuilding that went into this as well, and I tried to include that in the map itself, within the city descriptions. Also, be sure to view the image at it's full size, 3840 x 3021. There's a lot of little details that are lost when viewing it fully zoomed out. If the website is compressing the full size image, here's a link below to it on my Deviant Art, along with many of my other maps if you'd like to see them as well.

https://www.deviantart.com/stoneward13/gallery

I'd love to know what you think as well, constructive criticism is always welcome.

---
    Lore

This isn't Asgard, or Midgard. It is none of the old Realms, and yet it is also all of them, torn apart and re-combined in strange ways after the destruction of Ragnarök. Fragments of the old can be found for those who go looking, but there are also new things, new places and new creatures. There is some trace of the Old magic, but there is New magic as well, and the two types rarely play nice with each other.

The few remaining gods live among the mortals, and the new social dynamics are still very fresh and unknown. Are the gods still worthy of worship, when their powers pale in comparison to the gods of old? The Norns/Fates themselves are seemingly gone forever. There are no prophecies to guide this new world, or at least not yet. The gods try to keep it quiet, but they are all constantly searching for any sign of a way to tell the future, like Odin of old.

If you have any lore questions, I have a *lot* and I am more than happy to share! This Reddit post also has a lot of it posted already.

---
    Inspirations

• Norse Mythology (Neil Gaiman)
    • God of War 2018 & Ragnarök
    • Valheim
    • Actual Norse Mythology
    • D&D
    • Thor (Marvel)

Excellent map! Have some rep.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Fantastic work - the lore especially is really cool.

Blog Entries

Thank you both, I'm glad you liked it : )

Great map and nice original work on the lore as well!

That's a beast and a whole lot of in world intel, great job

Wonderful composition. Great use of color. I like it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh