Thread: Greetings Cartographers!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Welcome, I am sure you must have a few maps to show and it would be well interesting to see how somebody well versed in the GIS apps can make some. We have loads of people here who use it but I don't think anyone is a self confessed virtuoso in them. We all dabble a bit some are better than others but I think we all miss out on a lot from not knowing the details and their capabilities.

I would not claim to be a virtuoso. I have a Master's degree and have been working in the GIS field for the past 8 years. I've been a GIS Technician, Analyst, Engineer, and now I am a GIS Technical Project Manager. The maps I create, and have created are mostly for my internal company's usage, displaying trends across the US (I'min Insurance now, so risk modeling and mapping are primary). I have also created maps for suitability analysis purposes - solar, wind, road placement... etc. That was mostly academic. I haven't worked in utilities, I was in Agriculture working with hi-res multispecral imagery as well as LiDAR, and with Insurance, I mostly work with the multispectral images, though that is primary for vector line extraction vs my agricultural work which was primarilyutilizing aerial imagery to determine crop (and to a lesser extent, soil) health status.

However, vectorization of rasters is well within my wheelhouse. And I am quite fluent in the aforementioned programs.