Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October 2023 Challenge: Wudumær Cave

Map October 2023 Challenge: Wudumær Cave

My submission for the October mapping challange. Map a nightmare.
    An overview look of a cavern with underwater lakes. The numbers refer to the hight of the cave.
    I didn´t want to make it too obvious that the map was about nightmares, so I went for a cave map. From the little I know about such maps, the naming can be more subjective than other types of maps. I think the same is true for climbing maps. So using that, I named the caves, lakes and passages after normal, well known types of nightmares.
    The map is handrawn, scanned, edited and colored in Photoshop.
    The labeling would probably look better handlettered, but I wanted to finish the map in around one days work.
    Markings and style was inspired/learned from a map made by UT Speleological Society, of Inner Spaces Caverns in Texas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mkmkm7p.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	136400

### Latest WIP ###
    Last edited by HINDSIGHT; 10-11-2023 at 05:09 PM.

If this is for the Mapping Challenge, you will want to post it in that sub forum instead of here.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Moved it for you now

It's funny, but this is not a nightmare for me - I used to do a lot of caving (or potholing as it's called around here) a few years back.
    I've also done some very simple surveying and mapping of caves and you've got the style down great!
    I like the naming too, with the references to nightmares - as another little note on cave naming, in the UK whoever finds the cavern gets to name it (with a few guidelines), so it's often named after something that comes to them at that moment or some reference to something that happened on the trip (for example there's a cave in the Yorkshire Dales called Wretched Rabbit, so called because there was a particularly mangled rabbit carcass not too far from the entrance when they first discovered it)

Thanks for the relocation, and the comments.
    I remeber hearing about those naming traditions, and in retrospect I could have gone slightly weirder with the names, and perhaps provided a background story. The name of the cave could also, if adhering to that rule, be more poetic or obscure. I guess there is much more to explore with these kinds of maps, and im glad I took the time to learn some of the legend associated with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrix View Post
    Moved it for you now

It's funny, but this is not a nightmare for me - I used to do a lot of caving (or potholing as it's called around here) a few years back.
    I've also done some very simple surveying and mapping of caves and you've got the style down great!
    I like the naming too, with the references to nightmares - as another little note on cave naming, in the UK whoever finds the cavern gets to name it (with a few guidelines), so it's often named after something that comes to them at that moment or some reference to something that happened on the trip (for example there's a cave in the Yorkshire Dales called Wretched Rabbit, so called because there was a particularly mangled rabbit carcass not too far from the entrance when they first discovered it)
    I would have named it "Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch" what with an expired rabbit at a cave entrance.
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HINDSIGHT View Post
    My submission for the October mapping challange. Map a nightmare.
    An overview look of a cavern with underwater lakes. The numbers refer to the hight of the cave.
    I didn´t want to make it too obvious that the map was about nightmares, so I went for a cave map. From the little I know about such maps, the naming can be more subjective than other types of maps. I think the same is true for climbing maps. So using that, I named the caves, lakes and passages after normal, well known types of nightmares.
    The map is handrawn, scanned, edited and colored in Photoshop.
    The labeling would probably look better handlettered, but I wanted to finish the map in around one days work.
    Markings and style was inspired/learned from a map made by UT Speleological Society, of Inner Spaces Caverns in Texas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mkmkm7p.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	136400
    This is great and really captures the spirit of the challenge. It also accurately describes many of my dreams, or nightmares as other people might see them. I have occasional enraptures - dreams that are not nighmares
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Hehe this is brilliant, and yeah, you've nailed the theme. I'll be found hanging out in the loose teeth section...
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Uff.. Barley hanging..

Thanks I had one go at making it more academic, with sections for the different types of nightmares, but I guess terror lies in the unknows, so I went slightly more open-ended with the naming. Strike that! Just looked over the naming, its pretty blunt.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You're gonna want to add a ### Latest WIP ### so the picture scraper will see your entry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast