Thread: Looking for Critique for my region map

Map Looking for Critique for my region map

This is a map I designed for my eight year old son's first RPG campaign. I want to fill it with points of interest that would inspire him to ask NPC's questions and set off for an adventure.

It's hand drawn then a little colour added digitally in Krita.

I want to be good enough to get paid and take on commissions so any constructive criticism is welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Area Map.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	3.87 MB 
ID:	136511

First of all I think this is a really nice map, the line work especially is quite good and it's quite clear start all the elements are. There are definitely areas that can be improved on so it out some points below.

1. I would work on the colouring sand shading first of all (especially the shading). A few additional colours works help differentiate the various elements of the map ( though colour isn't really necessary on a map and there are great black and white or single jess colour maps out there). Applying shadow should really elevate the piece as well by giving a sense of depth to the artwork.

2. It's quite generic at the moment, I think you need to work at developing a distinctive style. This is really something that comes with practice. Your style might be characterised by distinctive border elements or labels or a striking colour palette. Participating in our making competitions can be a good way to get on some practice and develop a style (having a free awards on your profile didn't hurt when replying to commission requests posted to the guild as well).I would also recommend looking at lots of other maps and adapting elements that you like into your own work, looking though the finished map thumbnails in the finished maps forum is a great way to do this.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I agree with wminish r.e. the shading and color elements. Something as simple as darker greens on the shaded areas of the trees and lighter colors where the sun would hit would really make this thing pop. It's already a very good map, and couple little things would really put it over the top.

I really like the map, it's well drawn. I agree with the other points made. More variation with lighter and darker greens, and shading would improve it. Maybe add shading and a darker green to the base of the big tree? I think the hand drawn features, like the buildings, are fantastic, with a playful feel to me. Good work.

Thanks for the feedback.

Personally, I really like the black, white and one other colour aesthetic like you see in Rob Matthew's work for Brad Kerr or in The Nightmare over Ragged Hollow by Merry Mushmen. Still, lot's to improve (eg shading)

I guess my mapping philosophy is to inspire a mood of a location over representing how things are, I guess art more than a textbook illustration. For me when I GM that's what is important, hopefully, it might be a niche I could grow in.