Thread: Lovecraft Dreamlands

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Khannea's Avatar

Default Lovecraft Dreamlands

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WORKING MAP - CENTRAL KINGDOM - 2500.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	4.63 MB 
ID:	136617

I started working on the paper version in the 1990s. I then scanned it in Photoshop format in around 2001, and proceeded to endlessly expand the map. I have no goals with it. It's based loosely on my D&D from long ago, and Lovecrafts Dreamlands. The full map is about 43000 pixels wide, and in print format that's 4 meters by 2 meters, i.e. 400 x 200 centimeters, at 300 DPI. It's a completely absurd project maintained largely to medicate and relax. The premise is a Kingdom (or several interlocking Kingdoms) managed by humans, a small percentage wander in (and keeps occasionally andering in) from the material Earth. Consequently about 90 Earth years (and about 750 Dreamland years) have passed since Lovecraft wrote about these Dreamlands. I have no plans to publish but I might have these printed on-demand when truly finished, and there is sufficient demand to generate a secure revenu - problem is I will hve to print in to seperated strips since international deliveries can't affordably process a 2 meter article I might also publsh ity as a dedicated members-only wikipedia eventually.

If anyone wants to see detail zooms of particular regions, let me know about what parts you like to see enlarged.

Note that the land you see is not situated on a "planet". It is not curved by a planetary surface and is geometrically flat. There is no functional north and south (i.e. climate zones). The geometry in some regions flexes inwards in wel, uhm, along Lovecraftian / noneuclidian principles. To honor Lovecrafts total lunacy and racism in the real world I made meticulous care to lampoon psychotic racism and xenophobia in the backtory of the word. Also the plate tectonics of the world have been garbled and twisted by magic - powerful entities can tear up whole landmasses, and have done so in the past. In the 'South East' is the remnant of what used to be massive city of Atlantis, a good 40 thousand years progressed (and a completely decadent dung pile overrun by mutants and freaks) which 'wandered in' from the material world. Atlantis used a continent destroying storm that still swirls in the eastern half of the Kingdom - that's the daintly little blue vortex. Underneath all this I have six layers of a very cursory projection of "Underworld" realms.

Project in the center is nominally finished, steadily working outward into the periphery. Mathematically I cn only finish this if either I have AI to do my work for me or we get Life Extension in the next decades. I'll probably have it posted online if I croak in a couple of decades - which I am not planning to. The perfect end result would be for this to evolve into a virtual world in a couple of decades where people can smite, adventure, fornicate and wield ye blasphemous magicke.
    Last edited by Khannea; 11-21-2023 at 03:12 AM.

That's Impressive. I really like the coasts; so much activity. Great job.
    Maybe you could do a few zoomed in cropped images so we can see some of it a bit better.