Thread: First world map, looking for feedback

Wip First world map, looking for feedback

This is my first time posting something here in a long long time. I tried this a long time ago and loved it so I am back. You guys are all very impressive and I am looking for recommendations before I start adding titles, emblems, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monde entie smallr.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	6.60 MB 
ID:	136635

Thank you!!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Hello! Good first one! My first one was not this good. It looked more like a Frankenstein than anything else. :p

As for feedback... hmm. I would like to know what you are working on. Paper? Digital?

I like your landmass shape, I like your trees. Your mountain line art is getting there, though I would suggest picking a color for each region's mountains that blends better. For instance, the brown for the mountains top left looks mismatched with the colors beneath it.
    Also the white outline of the coast distracts a bit.

All in all, a solid start for this. Keep at it.

I quickly did a mountain example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain Example_1.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	332.6 KB 
ID:	136636
    Last edited by XCali; 11-27-2023 at 05:55 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Overall I really like the style and texture of this! I concur with XCali's notes about the mountains and coasts.

The only other thing I could add is that the ocean being a darker value near the coastline feels backwards, i'd expect it to be lighter as the depths became shallower rather than the other way around.

Great work so far for a first effort, keep it up!

I like the parchment feel of it, it triggers that whole big kid treasure map thing. And the white sandy coastline thinning into inlets and streams. But mostly the whole layout of the thing, it's so non symmetrical it makes your eyes explore. What would I add - a volcano, nautical compass, and pot of gold.

Guild Member

I think it looks really good and as Dumont says, the textures are really nice. My only gripe is it feels more of a continent map rather than a world map, unless of course it's depicting "the known world" in a sort of pre-discovery age.