Thread: *** December 2023 Challenge: Solstice Sketchings ***

Post *** December 2023 Challenge: Solstice Sketchings ***

This month's challenge is to create a map taking place at the Solstice.

Whether the Winter or Summer Solstice - it's up to you, and entirely open to how you wish to interpret the prompt.
    As some suggestions: you could map a landmark, real or fantastical, inspired by the many cultures across the globe that mark the occasion. A ritual taking place at either time of year. A land or place under a midnight sun or locked in month long night. However you choose to interpret the prompt is up to you.

Rules are simple as always:
    1. Any map for this challenge cannot have been started before now (the exception being Redrobes & Chickpea who both guessed close enough to the challenge and have had an extra week to work on it)
    2. Label your map thread like this: December 2023 Challenge: (your title here)
    3. Preface any work-in-progress pictures you post with the WIP tag button - it's in the toolbar on the second row down, towards the right. Or you can just type out ### Latest WIP ### Doing this allows the picture scraper to see your work and let the voters see it at the end of the month

The Challenge will run until Sunday 31st December at some point in the evening (BST), assuming I'm not too Hogmanayed to get around to it

Good Luck!

I enjoyed the guessing for this one, even the hairy back theories!

I have an idea that I'm playing about with, so hoping to take part. I'll start a thread soon.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Ha! I was close with the last clue Not that it was all that difficult to 'decode' the dates
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrix View Post
    This month's challenge is to create a map taking place at the Solstice.

The Challenge will run until Sunday 31st December at some point in the evening (BST), assuming I'm not too Hogmanayed to get around to it
    If you do manage it then that will be a challenge success all of its own!
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Solstice? How boring. Here I was sharpening my pencils to draw an army of bear-druids repelling an invasion of flying saucers at an ancient astronomy site (fall back, druids, henge, numbers). Fits perfectly!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I enjoyed the guessing for this one, even the hairy back theories!
    If anyone does make that one I'll allow it

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Solstice? How boring. Here I was sharpening my pencils to draw an army of bear-druids repelling an invasion of flying saucers at an ancient astronomy site (fall back, druids, henge, numbers). Fits perfectly!
    Sounds like it's at a Solstice site so yeah, perfectly valid! Reminds me of a certain Dr. Who episode...

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrix View Post
    Sounds like it's at a Solstice site so yeah, perfectly valid! Reminds me of a certain Dr. Who episode...
    Wait so... now I actually have to deliver this crazy concept?

Sounds very fun! I don't think I'll have the time to join in on the challenge but I'm looking forward to the entries!

Happy Solstice everyone!

A lot of great entries so far and still 9 days left if you want to enter