I have ate all my mince pies so its time I started getting back to this...

I clipped out a section of the unsmoothed banded painted contours map where I captured the middle bit with just the Tor in it. Then put that into my 3d app and smoothed out those contours. My app uses floating point math for the heights so we can get rid of all those jaggies in the heights.

Getting a reasonably smoothed out height map I then textured it with black and white bands and applied that back onto the 3D model as a texture which is shown here.

### Latest WIP ###
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contours4.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	136797

So I know I have the right contours matching the Tor at 5m height intervals.

If I take that image and do an edge detection then I am back to the contours again but these are nicer than my hand drawn ones I did in order to get to the first shaded model. I now have nice smooth lines all of the same thin pixel widths which is much better for me to use as the source for the laser.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contours5.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	383.3 KB 
ID:	136798

So next I need to put the tabs into this image and try this one out on some card. One issue I can immediately see is that the base, or the edge of the image needs to be all of the same height but the Tor has a lower height to the South than the North so its going to come out leaning to the North unless I do something about that.

I am going to have to get a copy of the base / edge heights and build an inverted platform and then add that to the height model to flatten it. That wont be real world accurate but we need to start the 3D model on a flat bit of card.

I was in the vicinity and took a trip to the Tor a couple of weeks ago and climbed up to the top and had a look around. At the time we have been having a lot of rain and the landscape around has become very flooded. I think this is normal and I read that in very old times the place name of Glastonbury was called the Isle of Glass when all of the region used to flood and turn to ice in the winter. Whether that is true or not I cannot be sure but its an interesting idea.