Thread: Lost Adventures

Map Lost Adventures

Back in 2020 and 2021, I was working on a project that seems to not have come to fruition.
    I tried to contact the client numerous times, but never was able to get a response back.
    I was paid, but there was to be more maps for the campaign, so I don't know what occurred with them.
    All I know is they were great to work with and I hope they are ok out there somewhere.

The first map from that campaign was Wreckers Reef, which you all know.
    The other maps are in a less involved style, which was the clients request. This year I added a bit more color to them.

Unfortunately I don't have all the lore for them, but i am presenting them as they are.
    For thumbnail reasons, I'll post the city first, then the additional maps.
    The thumbscraper sometimes grabs the wrong thing if there are multiple images in a post.

The city is Tinker's Delve.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lost Adventure 01 - Tinkers Delve - jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	5.19 MB 
ID:	136812

The other maps all relate to the port town of Dorin's Cut.
    The town, the light house, and the camp outside of town...
    presumably a terrible event has occurred, perhaps some sort of zombie apocalypse or somesuch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lost Adventure 02 - Dorins Cut - jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	136813 - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lost Adventure 03 - Lighthouse - jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	136814 - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lost Adventure 04 - Survivors camp - jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	136815

It's a shame that the project never went forward. These are beautiful maps. I especially like your compass rose and hills on the first one.

Your city designs are unequivocally the best imho.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

What a great job!
    The reliefs and forests are particularly well done, I think.
    I also really like the effect chosen for the sea, a sort of paper texture, which gives the effect of waves.
    I'm not a huge fan of the colors chosen, but the city and the other detailed maps are so well drawn that I happily overlook the colors.
    Your eye for detail is as impressive as ever, and I always wonder how many hours you spend on maps like these to achieve a result like this. It's awe-inspiring every time.
    On a more "detailed" note, the cannon is impressively large, as are the number of ships and docks. It's a pity we haven't heard from the customers since it would have been interesting to better understand the world in which these maps are set.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing them here... It's beautiful, as usual!
    I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you a very happy festive season and, for 2024, lots of new maps (actually, I think that's a very selfish wish for me and the guild) .

Oh beautiful! Love how you've depicted the hilly areas in the first map. It's so well done.

And, in direct contrast to Jo's comment above, I like the colour palette a lot. (Personal taste is such, well, a personal thing!!) The palette is subtler than, for example - the Wreckers Reef map, and it allows the details to really stand out. You can't go wrong with (a gentler version) of the Teal & Orange cinematographer's favourite colours.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Splendid work with the your magical top-down map to side view transition !

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    It's a shame that the project never went forward. These are beautiful maps. I especially like your compass rose and hills on the first one.
    Thamks Turambar Yeah, I know there was to be a region map, enlarged version of the piece on the bottom right of the city map. Not sure what else he wanted mapped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Your city designs are unequivocally the best imho.
    Thanks Voolf Cities are so much work, but I do enjoy making them.
    Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    What a great job!
    The reliefs and forests are particularly well done, I think.
    I also really like the effect chosen for the sea, a sort of paper texture, which gives the effect of waves.
    I'm not a huge fan of the colors chosen, but the city and the other detailed maps are so well drawn that I happily overlook the colors.
    Your eye for detail is as impressive as ever, and I always wonder how many hours you spend on maps like these to achieve a result like this. It's awe-inspiring every time.
    On a more "detailed" note, the cannon is impressively large, as are the number of ships and docks. It's a pity we haven't heard from the customers since it would have been interesting to better understand the world in which these maps are set.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing them here... It's beautiful, as usual!
    I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you a very happy festive season and, for 2024, lots of new maps (actually, I think that's a very selfish wish for me and the guild) .
    Thanks Joel
    There will be lots of maps, as some of the works will publish soon, if not already, so I can start posting those maps.
    I don't usually remember how long maps take. I am bad at keeping track. I used to try to do that, but always forget.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Oh beautiful! Love how you've depicted the hilly areas in the first map. It's so well done.

And, in direct contrast to Jo's comment above, I like the colour palette a lot. (Personal taste is such, well, a personal thing!!) The palette is subtler than, for example - the Wreckers Reef map, and it allows the details to really stand out. You can't go wrong with (a gentler version) of the Teal & Orange cinematographer's favourite colours.
    Thanks CP I can't imagine how this would have turned out if he had wanted it to all be like wreckers. He may have wanted that but changed plans due to time/cost. idk. I added much of the color in 2023. I hadn't been able to reach him and thought, if I am to post these, I'd rather them be more colorful. He chose a line style that only had some shading, so they were less dramatic, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Splendid work with the your magical top-down map to side view transition !
    Thanks Ilanthar It's surprising how much extra trouble those can be. Trying to match things up is often a pain, and at the same time surprising because things often aren't quite how you would have thought. Top down stuff can be deceiving sometimes.

As usual, your city map is beyond what any mapmaker I know of could achieve. Planning, depiction, integration in its environment... everything seems natural and a part of me hates you alittle bit for it (but overall, I'm just a fan, you know it ). The compass is absolutely great and your choice of color for its lineart is an odd but very efficient one, kudos for that.

The smaller maps have a great feel to them and I'm gonna steal the lighthouse and the camp for my own game

Again, thanks for sharing these gems, John