Thread: 2024 Atlas Awards Intro & Discussion

Default 2024 Atlas Awards Intro & Discussion

Hi Everyone. It's time again for the Atlas Awards. This post contains instructions on how to do nominations so please read the post in its entirety before making nominations in the appropriate threads.

The awards will cover all maps posted to the finished maps forum in the 2023 calendar year. The nomination threads should be up shortly after this thread goes up and will stay up for about 2 weeks (until Jan 27th).

The categories for 2024 will be as follows

Best Large area map (Space, World, Continental, Regional) - NOMINATE TWO
    This will be a heavily overloaded category, so we're asking you to nominate TWO maps, and there will be TWO winners. In other words, the first and second-placed maps will BOTH get an award (if there's a tie at the top, only the tied first-placed maps will win).

Best Local area (City, Town, Village)

Best Small area (Building, structure, space ship, dungeon)

Best Black & White Map
    Maps in this category can be hand-drawn or digital, but they should be almost entirely black & white, or monochrome.

Your favourite map from last year
    We want to see the maps that you simply loved most from last year. For example, you might feel 'Map A' is technically superior to 'Map B', but 'Map B' ticks all the boxes for you and you can't stop looking at it. That's what we want to see in this category, and any style is acceptable.

Those are the categories and here is a link to view all the eligible maps.

Atlas Awards 2024 Eligible Maps

PLEASE NOTE...
    On the thumbnails page, if you click directly on the picture, it will show you only the picture. However, if you click on the title below the picture, it will take you to the thread. When nominating a map, PLEASE include a link to the THREAD, not just the picture by itself. This will save the CLs much time and effort when it's time to set up the polls. So your nomination should look like this (note that the map linked below is from 2020 and is not eligible for the awards this year):

The sea of the 6 kingdoms by - JO -
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...170#post416170

Please nominate up to two maps for the 'Best large area' category, and only one map for all the other categories.
    You cannot nominate your own maps.
    Please keep all discussion to this thread. The nomination threads are for nominations only.
    Nomination threads will close 4 weeks after opening, and voting will start probably a week or two after that, once we've compiled the poll.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.
    Last edited by wminish; 01-13-2024 at 08:16 PM.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Excited for this, and well get nominating soon.

*whispers* I think there's a little typo in the Your Favourite Map header. Presume that should be 'the last year' and not two years?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Yeaah! I gotta browse the maps asap

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Excited for this, and well get nominating soon.

*whispers* I think there's a little typo in the Your Favourite Map header. Presume that should be 'the last year' and not two years?
    Thanks ChickPea, I've corrected that now.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Duty performed, wasn't easy.

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    Hi Everyone. It's time again for the Atlas Awards. This post contains instructions on how to do nominations so please read the post in its entirety before making nominations in the appropriate threads.

The awards will cover all maps posted to the finished maps forum in the 2023 calendar year. The nomination threads should be up shortly after this thread goes up and will stay up for about 2 weeks (until Jan 27th).

The categories for 2024 will be as follows

Best Large area map (Space, World, Continental, Regional) - NOMINATE TWO
    This will be a heavily overloaded category, so we're asking you to nominate TWO maps, and there will be TWO winners. In other words, the first and second-placed maps will BOTH get an award (if there's a tie at the top, only the tied first-placed maps will win).

Best Local area (City, Town, Village)

Best Small area (Building, structure, space ship, dungeon)

Best Black & White Map
    Maps in this category can be hand-drawn or digital, but they should be almost entirely black & white, or monochrome.

Your favourite map from last year
    We want to see the maps that you simply loved most from last year. For example, you might feel 'Map A' is technically superior to 'Map B', but 'Map B' ticks all the boxes for you and you can't stop looking at it. That's what we want to see in this category, and any style is acceptable.

Those are the categories and here is a link to view all the eligible maps.

Atlas Awards 2024 Eligible Maps

PLEASE NOTE...
    On the thumbnails page, if you click directly on the picture, it will show you only the picture. However, if you click on the title below the picture, it will take you to the thread. When nominating a map, PLEASE include a link to the THREAD, not just the picture by itself. This will save the CLs much time and effort when it's time to set up the polls. So your nomination should look like this (note that the map linked below is from 2020 and is not eligible for the awards this year):

The sea of the 6 kingdoms by - JO -
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...170#post416170

Please nominate up to two maps for the 'Best large area' category, and only one map for all the other categories.
    You cannot nominate your own maps.
    Please keep all discussion to this thread. The nomination threads are for nominations only.
    Nomination threads will close 4 weeks after opening, and voting will start probably a week or two after that, once we've compiled the poll.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.
    Should the Atlas Award 2024 have a pinned topic visible on the front page? I can't see it
    Thibaud J.B. - Astral booker of l'Arpenteur
    Cartographer and pathfinder of distant lands
    Website |Artstation Portfolio | Instragram | Reddit
    Tel: (+33)6 13 95 93 78
    Discord: l'Arpenteur#6822

Quote Originally Posted by l'Arpenteur View Post
    Should the Atlas Award 2024 have a pinned topic visible on the front page? I can't see it
    You're quite right, I'd forgotten to promote it to the front page. I've done that now.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That was kind of exhausting. There were fewer maps this year, but the quality was great. Really hard to narrow things down.

I've just gone through and checked the nominations for the atlas awards and I've removed a few duplications and maps nominated in the wrong categories. I'll leave the nominations open for a few more days to let the affected people make new nominations and for those who haven't gotten to it yet to add nominations.