Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: January/February 2024 Challenge: 500 years on Ovryn

Quote Originally Posted by Ink_alpinist View Post
    Indeed your thread delivered what was promised! The final map is really interesting and beautiful
    Also this bit of lore make everything cooler.

Is there a reason for not showing cities?

Maybe another map with political borders would be cool, also.

And the "pseudo art deco style" was right decision. Good job!
    Thanks so much! I thought about adding cities and such, but decided to not make this a political map but to focus more on the changes in the planet made by terraforming, so as not to make the map too cluttered. Perhaps I will make more maps of this world, and do political or regional maps in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    Thanks so much! I thought about adding cities and such, but decided to not make this a political map but to focus more on the changes in the planet made by terraforming, so as not to make the map too cluttered. Perhaps I will make more maps of this world, and do political or regional maps in the future!
    I see, Turambar, make sense. Also, I guess it being a world map, there would be many cities and fiefdoms after 500 years, maybe a lite crowded kkk. It is just that what drives me the most in maps are their storytelling and all the adventures and History it portrayals, like why the "Grave of the gods" would appear after the colonization? For me it suggests some kind of gran event. Or what societies arose in the fertile crescent? Barbaric, civilized?

I suppose I will have to wait to know kkkkk but sure I got inspired

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

This turned out really nicely; your mountain technique here is *chef's kiss*.

Looking good! Could you book passage for me on the next voyage to this planet? Wait- there aren't man eating aliens on Ovryn... are there?

Visit my business site: The Elderly Cartographer
    For commissions: Fiverr
    Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and DeviantArt

Ah Now I see the inspiration ^^ , the map projection is pretty unique and original I look foward to see more of it and it will look interesting to see development of the societies there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ink_alpinist View Post
    I see, Turambar, make sense. Also, I guess it being a world map, there would be many cities and fiefdoms after 500 years, maybe a lite crowded kkk. It is just that what drives me the most in maps are their storytelling and all the adventures and History it portrayals, like why the "Grave of the gods" would appear after the colonization? For me it suggests some kind of gran event. Or what societies arose in the fertile crescent? Barbaric, civilized?

I suppose I will have to wait to know kkkkk but sure I got inspired
    Thanks! Lots of possibilities for future maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    This turned out really nicely; your mountain technique here is *chef's kiss*.
    Thank you Diamond! Larion has been inspirational for me on this, though I have my own approach to the base heightmap that is somewhat different (I didn't use real world heightmaps for this).

Quote Originally Posted by The Elderly Cartographer View Post
    Looking good! Could you book passage for me on the next voyage to this planet? Wait- there aren't man eating aliens on Ovryn... are there?
    Only one way to find out...

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Ah Now I see the inspiration ^^ , the map projection is pretty unique and original I look foward to see more of it and it will look interesting to see development of the societies there.
    Yes, that didn't make much sense, so I added ice on that side in the newest version (not sure if you saw that).

That is a big image. More power to you!

Which constellation is Orvyn located in, according to Earth's night sky?

Quote Originally Posted by The Elderly Cartographer View Post
    That is a big image. More power to you!

Which constellation is Orvyn located in, according to Earth's night sky?
    Thanks!

I guess we'll have to find out in 2346...

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    I guess we'll have to find out in 2346...
    Cop-out... Lol.

If you want Orvyn to be very distant there is the Hubble Deep Field in Ursa Major, thousand of glorious, jewel-like galaxies. Or if you want it nearer but still outside the Milky Way, the Large Magellanic Cloud is a great option. It's a dwarf galaxy that apparently orbits our own. Crazy! I say this because I love astronomy! Stars, nebulae, and galaxies are the most majestic and beautiful things. Lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12