Thread: WIP: Tharkas

Map WIP: Tharkas

Nothing super special, but I finally, FINALLY finished the height map for this long-term project I've been working on (although I'm now wondering if I made it perhaps just a bit too rocky). From tip-to-tip it's about 300 miles-ish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tharkas -- Finished Elevation Map.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	5.84 MB 
ID:	137016  

Nice work, I imagine that the techniques for this kind of map are much different from "regular" fantasy mapping, like, is that a real place? How is it called?

Thanks! That honestly means a whole lot! This is part of a very long-term Xianxia-style world/region that I'm going to be building for at least the next couple of years. I think it's really important to get the landscape down pat before doing any really major world-building work, so that's what I did here. There's still a lot of small errors that I need to fix before going to the next stage, but seeing things progress is honestly a great thing for me in terms of willpower.

Wow, you are really commited to your world! I am sure it will turn out great, and good luck, may the guild help you

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Looks very much like my initial maps before I process the terrain using Wilbur (while working in Photoshop). Are you planning to erode your mountains with a program such as Wilbur? Although it looks beautiful even without the processing, I'd advise you do it anyway, and blend the result with the original image at a 50% or somewhat lower opacity. (That's my rule of thumb with my images.)

A minimum two-year project? Wow. That's a much longer time frame than I usually invest in my maps. Is this for a novel or RPG?

The bottom line: looks fantastic!

Peter

This has already been eroded by Wilbur, I just cleaned it up in Gimp so it didn't look too messy. The scale is 1 pixel == 211.2 feet. It's for a hobby project of mine because making rpg worlds is a bit of a special interest of mine and I have no sense of scale or time commitment hahahaha. And thanks!