Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
I DM two French creations : Oltréé (for which I can pitch the system that is fun) and Cœurs Vaillants (Brave and the Bold in English) in its second iteration. I also love Cairn, Knave, Primal Quest and Into the Odd but I often stripp Macchiato Monsters for parts as it's a wonder (open-magic-system !!!).

Also, everything from the Merry Mushmen is gold (KNOCK! above all else) and Emily Allen procedural dungeons are very fun to play with.

What are yours ?

I've heard the French had their own vibrant OSR scene. Very cool. I'm familiar with Cairn and Into the Odd (though haven't had the opportunity to play either). I've Kickstarted Ben Milton's Knave and am eagerly awaiting its fulfilment. And yes, I agree with you about Merry Mushmen. I've got the first two issues of Knock and want to complete the set.

Like you I like to tinker and hack systems and mostly play with my own homebrewed OSR system. When not playing that however my first go-to would be some form of Basic D&D or its clone. Old School Essentials is wonderful and so easy to use. BECMI / RC fills in some important gaps of Basic D&D and answers questions like, what do I do once my character has built a stronghold, and what the hell do I do with all this treasure I've amassed?

Cheers,
-Arsheesh