Thread: The Moordusk Dome - Noss Saga local map

Default The Moordusk Dome - Noss Saga local map

Heya! I got a bunch of new maps in Masks of the Miscam, Book 2 of the Noss Saga (gonna be publishing that one in the coming months). It includes a lot of these local maps of specific close-up of the world map. Here's one of them, the least spoilery of them all so I thought I could share it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map - Moordusk.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	6.03 MB 
ID:	137177

Same process as all other Noss maps, back and forth between Photoshop and Illustrator, although now that I have my own brush set and a template file, it's much easier to keep the styles consistent.

The view is the interior of one of those huge domes. The columns are the columns that support the dome. I tried to find a way to abstract that into the style without blocking the view too much. I have all the Wolf of Withervale (Book 1) maps in one page at full res now, and will have a page just like it for B2 when it's out. This one here: https://www.joaquinbaldwin.com/pages/book1-extras

Another nice addition to the collection! I really enjoy the muted colours and texturing of these maps.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

That boarder looks so nice!

joabaldwin, it is really inspiring to see how much effort you have been put into your world! I have been reading a bit of your site, but I didn't catch what is the circle in your map. Like I imagined your domes like giant spheres, is that it? But is it floating above the towns and villages?
    Keep up with the good world (work hehe)!

Thanks, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ink_alpinist View Post
    joabaldwin, it is really inspiring to see how much effort you have been put into your world! I have been reading a bit of your site, but I didn't catch what is the circle in your map. Like I imagined your domes like giant spheres, is that it? But is it floating above the towns and villages?
    Keep up with the good world (work hehe)!
    The circle is the perimeter of the dome, which is made of vines and about half a mile thick. The domes are like half-spheres made of vines growing from the land, although in reality they are more flat than half-spheres (more like flattened blisters, otherwise they'd be so tall they'd extend beyond the atmosphere!). The world map on my site shows them from a more schematic, orthogonal view from above, although I made them more hemispherical just for stylization purposes.

It's been hard to represent the domes on the maps. In this case, it almost looks like a magnifying glass because the forests in the interior and exterior don't seem to line up, but that's just because the forests are growing in completely different climates and conditions on the inside, so they aren't meant to match.

I love this map, especially the forests. I always enjoy all your Noss maps. Keep up the great work!

Woah, the map is absolutely spectacular, but I also gotta say I just love the frame and so many of the other wonderful details you have on this. I could absolutely stare at this for hours.

Beautiful work! I like it very much.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks! I'll post a few more in the coming months. I have a few more finished but I'll release them closer to the book's actual release. <3

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I really like the overall look: the map is well balanced, with a great choice of colours!