Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP Thalassios , a pirate map

Wip WIP Thalassios , a pirate map

Hi fellow mapmakers !

It's been a freakishly long time since I started a WIP thread so, here comes one as those always helped me advance at a connsistent enough pace. This is a follow up commission for a client, another part of his world where I drew .

Here, I'm gonna draw a pirate map so, I've decided to try and make the map usable for navigation (not that I think the players will actually use it this way, nor am I able to draw such a tool but it will be an immersive enough prop) so I started by drawing a full set of rhumb lines.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bafkreihyr2emd2xf45krs3pk5nvyqphotkfwbnkgtu5zhknl57e5jqikey.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	598.4 KB 
ID:	137186

Next, the landmasses outline and most likely something with a compass somewhere

Cheers !

Thomas
    Last edited by Diamond; 03-14-2024 at 12:24 PM.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	821.3 KB 
ID:	137200

So, the real work has started. Mainly coastline and placeholders, but still, it's taking shape. Dunno if all the lakes will stay but I like those in the northern part that'll be a big dense jungle. The client generated the landshape with a program and is not too attached to the primary look so, I use it as a guide but with lots of freedom.

I'll add more coastal islands that will be a good feature for a pirate setting. The main compass is a placeholder and I do not know the look it'll have yet but I want a niceskull on it. The secondary compassesare too big at the moment.

Here's the base if it's something you are interested in.

Name:	Penca Section.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	137201

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking awesome so far!

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Looking awesome so far!
    Thanks a lot D

Ok, a bit more advancement here.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	image0 copie.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	137205

The background is set, some dark in overlay on the sea for contrast and a bit of blue because I'll fiddle some more with the blue I guess. I also need to draw the torn parchment border and figure out a way to fade the map features properly at the edges (that last part is a job for later).

I've placed a handful of secondary compasses at the rhumb nodes and will let the main compass stew a bit more in my head before I tackle it but you can expect a skull somewhere.

I've got a couple of secondary compasses that are partially concealed by the land and I'm at odds with myself here. I've placed them and clipped the parts that are under the land. In some places, it works well enough. In others, not so well. Browsing through my documentation (the French National Library published a marvelous book on marine charts) I saw that the cartographers of old just didn't bother or just added them everywhere, even on land but with a detailed fantasy map, this is nnot an option. While I take inspiration in those maps of yore, I fully inted to add my twist but I wonder :

1- should I keep the concealed compasses ?
    2- should I remove them and don't worry that the placement are uneven ?
    3- keep some loose the more problematics ?

Any input from you, fellows, is welcome here.

Also, the red streaks on the land are the basis for my mountains but you can expect many branching in that department.

Hope you like it and, as usual, any critic or comment is welcome (I missed sharing my WIPs around here).

Cheers !
    Last edited by ThomasR; 03-14-2024 at 11:11 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Oh man, this one is gonna be epic. Hmm, my vote is for option 3, I think. I can give you a better opinion once you've got some samples up.

Starting WIPs after forever seems to be a trend, I'll have to start one too..
    Looking amazing so far! Can't wait to see more

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Hey cool map. Can you post a version where the many lines of the compass roses are a bit less prominent? Lower the opacity of that layer. (It would be interesting to see which one works better. As it is now, I really feel the lines' prominence make the map far too busy.)

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

That's kind of new experiment for you, isn't it ? I like the way you started with the compass and I like what you did with it afterward

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Oh man, this one is gonna be epic. Hmm, my vote is for option 3, I think. I can give you a better opinion once you've got some samples up.
    My first thought also but then I thought about color. I'll see if I can pull it off with the land colored and will just erase the problematic ones if it doesn't work. I'll propose different versions when the time comes. Thanks for you insight D

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Starting WIPs after forever seems to be a trend, I'll have to start one too..
    Looking amazing so far! Can't wait to see more
    Hey, I learned so much this way when I started out, it's only natural to try and give some back. Would love to see how your style has evolved

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Hey cool map. Can you post a version where the many lines of the compass roses are a bit less prominent? Lower the opacity of that layer. (It would be interesting to see which one works better. As it is now, I really feel the lines' prominence make the map far too busy.)
    I agree with you, thanks Hope. Below I'm sharing a version with thiner rhumb lines (redid them all and will share a .PNG so that it doesn't go to waste) but I'm not sure it resolves the issue. At the moment, the land is empty and it makes for a stark contrast with the sea. When the land is drawn I'll see how it looks and have several options : lowering the opacity, having some lines be dashed lines, darkening the sea ...

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    That's kind of new experiment for you, isn't it ? I like the way you started with the compass and I like what you did with it afterward
    New experiment, not really but it is the first time I do it properly. We'll see if I can pull it off

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	137209

I've drawn a torn parchment border plus the holes and might add creases and folds later one, we'll see.

Next will come the mountains then the varied biomes (the map extends from the Equator up North to the 60th parallel down South).

Hope you like this small update.

EDIT : If an admin can change the title from Penca to Thalassios, that'd be fab' !
    Last edited by ThomasR; 03-14-2024 at 11:11 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I really like the shades and colours. The multiplication of rhumb lines has a hypnotic quality that I also like. Can't wait for the rest!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast