Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March/April 2024 Challenge: Rawtooth Island

Wip March/April 2024 Challenge: Rawtooth Island

Hey hey cartographers!

I'm pretty new to the forum but I got really excited to participate in one of these challenges. I'll admit I feel a little intimidated seeing the skill previous competition winners have displayed, but I'll do it for the challenge and the learning experience over any glory.

Since the theme is Pre-History, I decided to go for a "caveman island" sorta vibe, inspired obviously a bit by Jurassic Park, but I was also inspired by cave paintings and south-american indigenous art, which you can see applied in the map's frame. I started with the frame because it will help me set the style and it's what I've been personally focusing on in my last maps, I wanna get good at making pretty frames.

Anyway, I just wanna say I accept any ideias or advice, like I said I want to use this opportunity to learn more than anything, I still lack a lot of that reference, technique and foresight that come with experience.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primitive Isle.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	564.1 KB 
ID:	137212

Welcome to the Guild and to your first Challenge!

Loving the border so far so excited to see where you go with this

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Welcome to your first challenge. The lite challenge is up too now, so just more experience. I love you line work on the frame, can't wait to see more!

Del

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Well dang, the border is already better than any border I could do...

Hi, Daia! Welcome and I hope you have a good time making your map . And really cool border, where did you take inspiration from?

Quote Originally Posted by Ink_alpinist View Post
    Hi, Daia! Welcome and I hope you have a good time making your map . And really cool border, where did you take inspiration from?
    Hey Ink_alpinist. Thanks for the question!

I guess I just thought of the things that remind me of pre-history in general, and cave-paintings were my first thought. But I also remembered Brazilian indigenous communities and how they exist and have maintained their culture from way before the colonization, so I decided to add some of that, you can see in in that thin inner boarder. Hopefully I can get something original by mixing these different elements.

I also went into some of the galleries in this forum to see how people frame their maps, specially the hand drawn ones.

Wip

New Update:

Finished the boarder, took me a while but life gets busy lol. Anyway, I went with different themes for each section of the boarder. Got animals on the left, cultures on the top, hunting on the bottom and a tapestry of animals around a god on the right. I decided I wanted to go semi-realistic with this world, no dinosaurs of magical creatures but there is a level of mysticism to these tribes.

Speaking of tribes, I started to dot the map with them, depicted by different building and silhuetes. I also started placing down forests and mountains, with the classic volcano on the heart of the island. Also a snake island on the north because there's a real snake island here in Brasil and I thought that was really cool.

I think this map might end up looking a little too disjointed and chaotic but I'm in too deep to go back hahaha. At least the theme might help excuse the amateur look. I'm having a lot o fun anyway, so whatever.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Primitive Isle WIP 2.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	779.3 KB 
ID:	137301

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Ohhh... so cool. I love it. very Tribal. Also reminds me of the Isle of Dread adventure module... the island shape.... Can't wait to see the finished map!!

Badger

Cool! I loved your diverse framework, and also how the icons inside the map match such style. Promising work

You guys just won't believe my luck... My pen spilled just as I was finishing the outline of everything. It wasan't that bad I can easily remove it if I decide to scan and edit the map. But is still sucks a bit haha.

Well here it is so far. I'll think on it a little more before adding details to the sea, and then go on to the final touches. I might try editing it in Photoshop to make it look old, or maybe if I get some free time, I'll do the old coffee trick.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Rawtooth Isle WIP 3.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	7.14 MB 
ID:	137400
    Last edited by Daia Maps; 04-09-2024 at 05:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast