Thread: Insane Asylum Grounds - WIP, feedback

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip Insane Asylum Grounds - WIP, feedback

Hey all, long time no see! I've been making a map! It's for my Insane Asylum game that I've reignited yet again. I've been planning the grounds so I can start decorating and wanted to get some ongoing feedback on it.

Still to add: Coal storage, gas holders, cemetery, barn, fields, cistern (maybe), possibly some other things I haven't thought of yet.

The black line coming in from top left to the back of the boilerhouse is a railroad spur for dropping off coal and supplies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GroundsMapWIP_01.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	137490
    Last edited by Robbie; 05-03-2024 at 10:09 PM.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

Did some more work on the Grounds...here's where it is now. I've also added contours...anyone wanna see em?

Name:	GroundsMapWIP_02.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	137527

Blog Entries

Hi Robbie, Are you planning on doing any 3D renders when you have the contours ? You should post a link back to your old vidoes of the place for those people who did not dee it the first time around, as they were fascinating and so well done. If you have the old 3D building model sitting in a contoured landscape in 3D then yes, I would be interested in seeing it. I am certain that's where you are heading with it so looking forward to seeing that.

Blog Entries

I've been keeping a blog of the game progress, but it needs to be updated with this stuff. https://fantaseum.com/category/proje...bride-project/

I've done quite a bit more work on the grounds layout...this is completely different than what's been shown so far because this particular layout is in planning and doesn't exist in 3d yet.

Name:	GroundsMapWIP_03.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	5.41 MB 
ID:	137547

Blog Entries

I actually might need a little help...I kinda haphazardly plotted some contours, but I ended up NOT sticking to even gradations. I've got the colors where I want, but I'd like to smooth it and possibly erode it and turn it into a height map. Could this be something I could process with a tool from waldronate or Redrobes? Any ideas?

Name:	Plan_Grounds_Elevation.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	330.7 KB 
ID:	137557

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    I actually might need a little help...I kinda haphazardly plotted some contours, but I ended up NOT sticking to even gradations. I've got the colors where I want, but I'd like to smooth it and possibly erode it and turn it into a height map. Could this be something I could process with a tool from waldronate or Redrobes? Any ideas?

Name:	Plan_Grounds_Elevation.png 
Size:	330.7 KB 
ID:	137557
    Since it looks to be gray scale you could probably use Wilbur with some precip erosion and a bit of guasien blur. You might just as easily do a bit of pre bluring before processing it in wilbur. I could try playing with it a bit when I get home from work and give you a better idea as far as numbers go unless waldronate happens by before I get there. Not sure about Red's tools since I have never tried using them.

Hope that helps.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Blog Entries

Its quite large scale map to do erosion on it - at least with anything I wrote. Presumably the land is covered in grass and other vegetation which holds the soil and earth together more than it might if it were a bit of valley or something about 20km square.

For smoothing you can go a little further with the ole gaussian blur but only up to a point where you run out of grayscale values and then you need to convert it to something that has 16 bit or float style pixel representation. With few contours you will have steps even if they are smoothed out.

I know that you are a whizz with 3D tools like Max. Can you put this as a texture map and use displacement to generate a 3D model of it and then smooth that. Since it will triangulate it then you will at least get the in between height levels that you wont get with a grayscale map.

All I can offer is a view in my 3D tool after a bit of blurring which I hope will allow you to visualize what you have.

Its probably too exaggerated from what you have in mind as the amount of effect of the height map is arbitrary. You can have the viewing tool for windows if it helps but I think you can get the same effect as a displacement map in Max, Blender or similar. The tool was just for debugging tiles in MeDem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AsylumTerrain3D_1.jpg 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	137558  
    Last edited by Redrobes; Today at 06:03 PM.