Thread: Fantasy Map of Darkwind Sea

Map Fantasy Map of Darkwind Sea

Below is a map from a solo session of Fantasy Map Maker: a game I designed to help fantasy cartographers generate ideas through a tabletop game.

In hindsight, the textures added to the oceans, land, and forests are probably a bit too similar and don't improve the "readability" of these parts of the map. Still, I am mostly happy with the map as I think it hints at some interesting aspects: the north is mostly uninhabitable, a strangely inhabited volcanic island exists in the ocean, a religious community exists in the southeast, and so on.

From a game design perspective, the variable quests and event set-up of the game, along with the randomness of the dice, have been incorporated to ensure each map is not only different, but also challenges the player/artist by forcing them to consider different situations that arise within the game (I wouldn't naturally draw the volcanic island so far away from anything else, for example). Being a game, there are some conceits involved - the scale of the maps are relatively small, and there can only be so many features within any one map - but within these restrictions, I hope there is enough variety for the average cartography fan.

Game: Fantasy Map Maker (drawn in Procreate)
    Actual game time: 60 minutes
    Touch-ups: 90 minutes

Map only:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darkwind Sea.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	137449

Full Game Sheet:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fantasy Map Maker Darkwind Sea.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	692.9 KB 
ID:	137450

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Yeah, if the ocean line art is more wavey instead of straighter it would better represent it.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Yeah, if the ocean line art is more wavey instead of straighter it would better represent it.
    Good idea! I will try that. Thank you