View Poll Results: Was this tutorial useful for you?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

6 75.00%
  • No.

0 0%
  • No, because I don't use the application used.

2 25.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Creating old, weathered paper using the Gimp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RobA, everything you do just turns into awesome doesn't it? Although there were quite a few grunge brushes to choose from, I guess that lets people have their own style.
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Thanks soooooo much - for saving me a lot of time on many projects!

Default Re:

I went through the tutorial and here's what I noted.

When trying to shrink, make sure the white background layer is selected. Then select by using select all (ctrl-a) and then go to select->Shrink.

The PDF mentions distress, but in newer Gimp versiosn, this is now called DISTORT and is also under select.

Very useful! I'll try.

@arjent -

Try taking a greyscale copy of the paper and pasting it into the layer mask of the text.

You might have to invert it and/or play with levels/curves to get it looking good, but it should definitely work.

-Rob A>

Ah, ok! Thanks for the help! I'm not exactly sure how to paste something into a layer mask...
    but making a second copy of the paper (with blobs and texture separate) as an overlay, then using a selection channel to cut out everything that overlapped the text. Cramming all the levels together to exaggerate the high-low (or else you can't see it) and adding heavy slur to the blobs layer to simulate spreading ink. The idea here was a handout to print, cut into 4 sections and give out as little finds all leading up to some sort of puzzle/whatnot.

This is my first ever antique scrap paper (and my first art here) and I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks for the help RobA, and also for the tutorial that inspired it! Consider this part 1 in my RobA tutorial "Thanks for helping me learn" tribute series. =)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parchment 2.jpeg 
Views:	1333 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	10493  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Cool symbols.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The symbols are brushes from Deviant Art. Arcana..or Arcane brush...something like that.

I tried this tutorial and I got good results...

The map is not mine, I got it from here: http://www.mapscroll.fi/images/maanmitta_kartta.jpg

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi everyone,

This is an interesting method for creating an "aged parchment" look. It's a little different than the one I've been using, which is based on Butch Curry's method (see my Gimp adaptation of Curry's "Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop" video tutorials, in this same forum thread).

One question though--I have Gimp 2.6.8, and I can't find the menu/dialog for changing layer modes. In the help documentation for 2.6, it lists layer modes as being available, but I can't find them where the doc says to find them. Does anyone here that's familiar with Gimp know what I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance.

wisemoon
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast