Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Wow ! Nice setup... must be hard stop drawing !

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    At the end of last year I finally cracked, and retired my old Cintiq 22HD. After a long consideration of all the available options, I finally upgraded to a Xencelabs 24''. Absolutely love it so far.

4K screen with a really nice paper-like surface and minimal parallax, and the whole thing is amazingly slim compared to how bulky my old Cintiq was. The tablet comes with a stand, two different pens, and an incredibly handy quick key remote with 8 configureable buttons and a scroll wheel, and the whole package still works out cheaper than Wacom's current 24'' equivalent that doesn't even come with a proper stand. Still not cheap by any means, but I feel I'm definitely getting my money's worth for what I paid. Doubt I'll ever by a Wacom product again.

The stand that the tablet came with was good enough, but I decided to swap it out for a monitor arm from Ergotron. Makes the thing extremely easy to manouver. I can easily pull the tablet close to the edge of the desk and angle it for drawing, and when not in use I can push it back and move it to an upward position so it doubles as a second monitor. This is how my setup looks like:

Attachment 137323

No regrets about making the upgrade! I also managed to sell my old Cintiq on eBay, and I'm glad to know somebody else can put it to good use.
    Interesting , do you recomend this Xencelabs 24 ? I always went for wacom but it always gived me all sort of anoying calbe issues and problems that honestly it ****ed me to the point that sometimes it make me unwilling to use preferring mouse.

What I dislike most of the digital screen painti/drawing is that it doesn't feel at all as a paper pen and there is a big distance for me from the tip of the pen and the actual cursor on the screen , for not talking of the delay eventually and the pressure difference.
    You say this is the most close to paper like experience available on market right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Interesting , do you recomend this Xencelabs 24 ? I always went for wacom but it always gived me all sort of anoying calbe issues and problems that honestly it ****ed me to the point that sometimes it make me unwilling to use preferring mouse.

What I dislike most of the digital screen painti/drawing is that it doesn't feel at all as a paper pen and there is a big distance for me from the tip of the pen and the actual cursor on the screen , for not talking of the delay eventually and the pressure difference.
    You say this is the most close to paper like experience available on market right now?
    For my money, I'd absolutely recommend it.

I obviously haven't had a chance to sample every other device out there, so I'm not comfortable stating that "it's the most close to paper like experience on the market right now", but I can defnitely say that the difference between my old Cintiq and the new Xencelabs is extremely stark. The distance between the pen tip and the cursor on the screen (a.k.a. parallax) is almost non-existant on the new one, although there still is a tiny little gap there. Not sure if it is even possible for there to be no parallax whatsoever, I'd imagine there always needs to be some form of protective glass on top of the screen itself, but at least the techonology seems to have come a long way in the last 10+ years.

As far as the paper feel, I have been really impressed with the surface of the tablet. It has a nice matte finish that at least to me, feels much more like actual paper than a lot of other tablets I've seen over the years.

I haven't really noticed any delay or problems with pressure when drawing, but then again I have been exclusively using a pen display for drawing for the past 8 years. I have at this point completely forgotten what it feels like to draw traditionally or with non-display tablet, so I'm probably not the greatest measuring stick here. I tend to draw with fairly slow and careful strokes too, so I probably wouldn't really notice a delay easily even if there was one.

But at the end of the day, a digital pen display is always digital, and I doubt they will ever get to a point where they feel exactly like real paper. I think it boils down to what you prefer.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 03-29-2024 at 05:03 PM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

As an iPad user, close to no parallax and you can add a "paperlike" (the actual name of the brand) onn top of the screen tha has that nice matte finish and the right texture (and you can change it when you scratched it like a cat tree). Photoshop is really bad on iPad and other programs not that great but you have Procreate that is a really powerful tool (and costs 9.99 €, period !).

I heard the newest version of paper like is not as good, unfortunately :/ back when I was looking into getting it for my iPad, everyone said they changed it for the new version and that it was wearing down the nibs faster than ever. So I opted to get a different brand for mine and it was cheaper and haven’t had to change a single nib yet which is really nice. Although I only like my iPad for sketching. Love sketching on it using either procreate (that took me forever to get into hahah) but mostly clip studio :3
    No idea how to make this look pretty, lol ignore me

Commissions open! https://vgen.co/JulieJubz or https://ko-fi.com/juliejubz/commissions

Btw is the Xencelab touch screen?

No. Pen input only.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    No. Pen input only.
    Oh , this still turns me again toward Wacome sigh! ...

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758