Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: My world - The Everlandias

The last two insignias, Belloria and The Zephyrn Empire respectively. The second insignia will be used for all of the nations in Adallia with yellow borders.

-D-
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

If it seems that I'm delaying the innevitable and arduous task of labelling, well, you're right.

I've been fooling arounf in photoshop to find a good looking compass that can be used with the disc insignias I made before. Here's my test compass, plus my test border and the test test font I'm planning to use for the main title of the individual maps. The text is a bit bright but it has a drop shadow, not visible on the black background, and for the most part will be situated on top of the insignia/compass.

So, what do you all think?

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compass Test.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	15658  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

The compass fits in greatly with the insignias. That's what I think
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    The compass fits in greatly with the insignias. That's what I think
    Agreed, and I'll have to check out that tutorial you used for the insignia's. Don't remember seeing that before.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

First Kingdom done, the south-eastern territory of New Demora. I'm on a roll.

It doesn't feel finished yet, what else should i add to it. I don't need a legend because the map is pretty map self explanatory and a legend would take up too much room.

My naming system for New Demora was a little sketchy, i din't really have a plan for naming towns, cities were named after past Emperors, with the capital being named after the first Emperor of the Old Demoran Empire, Emperor Dalsheid the First.

Do the greyed out areas work, i wanted to try and draw attention away from the other countries and focus on New Demora.

-D-

Name:	New Demora.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	15660  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

I know i shouldn't be posting this much but here is a copy of the map without the grey areas. Which one is better?

-D-

Views:	62 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	15661  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

I have done some amateur texturing for 3D shooters and what I very quickly learned was that a good grey texture requires a fair amount of colour.

Here's an example.

That stone texture is full of different colours (the use-many-different-colours principle works with any single-tone texture, really), and I think it would work very well for your greyed-out areas. They'd stand out because they're not as green as the kingdom that you're focusing on, but they'd not look as desaturated.

Hope this makes sense and is of use to you.
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Thnx for the tip flaterectomy but i think i'm going to stick with the grey, its easy to do which is good because I'm not the smartest when it comes to photoshop.

Now I've done two more maps, I've made some changes in these maps which will be done to the map of New Demora. Below are the maps of The Free States and Sorres. I've added in the main trade/travel routes and I've change the font effects, the white glow wasn't really working for me, the tan glow still makes them stand out without overwhelming the terrain. I also added a stroke and a bevel just to give it a little extra pop.

On the Free States map i was able to set down my naming conventions. Instead of trying to make it different for each country, the naming of places is dependent on which of the five common races settled the area. They are as followed.

Humans: Cities are usually named after a historical figure/event or place. Towns are normally something that describes the area but respelt to feel more fantasy. E.g. The Sorres Town of Port Nortewynd was derived from Northwind. I'm avoiding using cliche names or names that sound too "European", I do want to fall into the trap of basing my humans off fantasy europeans.

Ithekins: Names are normally base around G's, T's or F's with heavy use of vowels. This is not depicted in the Free States map too much.

Doumrs: With the exception of forts all towns and cities are consisted of two parts. Town names always start with "Dann" while cities sound like people names instead of a place name. Forts are normally named after a water-based thing, again respelt.

Shian'Shi: Heavily based on S's, X's and Z's, basically because the Shian'Shi speak with a lispe, it has to do with the shape of their mouth.

Myr's: Town and Fort names always start with "Laer" and Cities start with "Mon". These mean "Big Burrow" and "Big, Big Burrow" respectively. Myr names will always tend to avoid harsh sounds like G or K.

Sorry for boring you with that. What do you think of the maps.

-D-

Name:	Sorres.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	635.8 KB 
ID:	15698   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Free States.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	15699  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 08-09-2009 at 02:46 AM. Reason: left a part out

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Nice work so far. The last two maps are looking pretty! Good job on the insignias, they look great on the maps and give it a little extra.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thnx Gandwarf

Suddenly me and photoshop are getting along very well, here are four more maps: Trant, Ilhea, New Demora (redone) and The Darsen Isles. Six down, seven to go; I should have all of Adallia completed in no time.

Just to clarrify, the maximum dimension size is 30 megapixels correct, is that 3000x3000?

-D-

Name:	Trant.jpg 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	15706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darsen Isles.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	545.7 KB 
ID:	15707   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	66 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	15708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ihlea.jpg 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	15709  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast