Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I saw Civ V and was like what?! I gotta have that but it will ruin my Fall from Heaven fun. Glad ya posted the maps too
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead you! Civ V isn't out yet, ETA this fall.

Understood, I meant I have to start saving my pennies and clearing my calendar.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I haven't even got around to playing version IV and V is on the way...Yikes!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Here is a map I made for Fantasy Map Maker's contest. I've included the text that went with my entry. Enjoy!

Dungeon Stronghold of a Planar Lord

Software used: CC2 (floor plan), PSP8 (editing), PS7 (post work), Map Tools v1.3.b63 (dungeon dressing)
    Background patterns were made from textures supplied by freaky665.deviantart.com

Design Notes – After drawing a map, I usually jot down area descriptions on a notepad before adding inhabitants and their stat blocks. What follows are my initial (incomplete) thoughts which tend to change as I develop the theme and goals for the adventure.

Miscellany
    • Unless noted, floor to ceiling height throughout the dungeon is 10'.
    • Lower elevations are slightly lighter in color than the main level (hardly discernible in this sample size and resolution).
    • There are two, false, trapped doors in the dungeon. Each will strip all possessions from the first person that tries to open, inspect (physical contact), or attack it and teleport the nude victim to 12a, b, c, or d. The victim's possessions are transported to the treasury (35). The teleportation works once for each door. The doors are locked and trapped with poison needles.

Key
    1. The Descent into Darkness - The stronghold entrance can be situated on a cliff-face (for limited, aerial access) or near the base of a mountain.
    2. Cavernous Chamber - (30' high, floor to ceiling) Surrounding this area are catwalks. Those on the upper side (north of stairs) are 20' high and those on the lower side (south of stairs) are 15' high. Both have arrow slits. This is an ideal ambush site.
    3. Old Warrens - This was part of the lair of the area's original inhabitants, before the stronghold was completed. The exit is 25' above the stronghold's entrance.
    4. Reception Hall – this is another perfect place for an ambush.
    4a. Platform of the Planar Lord - (15' high) from this elevated vantage, the Planar Lord (or his minions) greets visitors.
    4b. Defenders' Walk - overlooks areas 2 and 4 (15' high).
    5. Trap
    6. Acolytes' Cells (Guest rooms or crypts?)
    7. Kitchen/Mess
    8. Privy
    9. Armory
    10. Study
    (15' ceiling)
    10a. Secret Summoning Chamber
    11. Chapel

a-c. Ceremonial Braziers - with the designated type of incense and the proper chants various properties may be invoked (curing, communication, clairvoyance). The hole descends 80' to area 12.
    12. Silent Prison - (15' ceiling at center; 80' to upper level) A pair of beasts (trained pets) occupy the center of this room, deterring escape attempts by the hapless occupants of the cells.
    a-d. Cells - Each of these 10'x10'x10'cells is affected by a permanent silence spell.
    13. Stone Guardian (or golem, gargoyle...)
    14. Private Study
    15. Master's Quarters
    - A rotating corner (secret door) pivots 180 degrees to open (as shown) or seal the passage (4b) from 4a to 13.
    16-19. Galleries - various art objects collected during the Planar Lord's travels are displayed here. At least one of "statues" is a petrified former adversary.
    16a-b. Expertly cut stones can be pulled out to reveal wedge shaped "windows" (similar to arrow slots) that look down into a temple (25). Treat the openings as concealed doors for detection purposes.
    20. Summoning Chamber (or Teleporter)
    21. Library
    22. Trap
    23. Darkened Hall
    - affected by continual darkness; additionally, trespassers not of the appropriate alignment are struck blind.
    24. Sanctuary (of the High Priest)
    25. Minor Temple (25' high ceiling)
    The trap door is triggered by tampering with the altar.
    26. Storage
    27. Main Temple
    (20' high ceiling)
    a. - storage for priestly vestments and objects
    b. - deific depiction sculpted in gold
    c. - secret panel
    29. Archway - leads to a Planar Gate
    30. Priest's Quarters
    31. Charged Hall
    - (20' high ceiling) a wall of lightning (3 second duration) forms when a creature or object passes between the anchor points shown below. The intensity of subsequent charges within a 10 minute period is doubled so that the first bolt causes 1d6 of electrical damage, the second 2d6, the third 4d6, the next 8d6, and so on.
    32. Slippery Slide into a 60' deep, moldy (insert a nasty mold, slime or ooze here) pit.
    33. Crescent Corridor - 10' from the bottom of the 30' deep pit is a secret passage into area 23.
    35. Treasury - magically warded to prevent scrying.
    36. The Molten Passage - (25' to 35' deep) is bordered with ledges 15' above the floor of area 31. Originally I pictured the nooks being occupied by nesting, exotic and feral winged beasts. When I was dressing the map in Map Tools I decided to fill the nooks with strange (enchanted?) lights. If I get around to writing up this adventure I'll probably come up with something else. Possible encounters include a fire elemental, lava trolls, and winged beasties.
    37. Searing Slide - The floor of the adjacent niche springs open when sufficient weight is applied to it, dumping occupants onto the slide.
    38. Chasm - this molten chasm is 35' to 70' deep.
    39. Chamber of Thrones - (25' ceiling) a pair of ornate thrones face a fanciful arch.
    a. - an elaborate arch frames a seemingly ordinary wall.
    41. Guardian
    42. Frozen Pool
    (40' deep)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8710_DSPL.png 
Views:	361 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	27966  

Very nice, I like it very much.

Thanks! The colors are more appealing the the ones I used for my earlier maps. I might do a few more maps in that style.

Yeah, please do. The colors make it very easy on my eyes and there's just something about a nice color scheme.

Here are a couple more using the same color scheme. The second level has a slightly different background pattern. I wanted to make a smaller set of maps for a short adventure but my floor plans have a tendency to grow.... Sorry about the quality; the images have been reduced.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	817_L150.png 
Views:	302 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	28143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	817_L2S50.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	28144

Revised Dungeon Stronghold map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_8710_9945.png 
Views:	560 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	30269
    Last edited by mrrkyl; 10-20-2010 at 05:14 AM. Reason: uploaded finished version & removed old map

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast