Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Strange Fantasy Map Please

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Woops! The bottomless chasm is still there, it's just on a hidden layer. Sorry 'bout that.

No problem, just wondering.

Well, I have a good start on the rendering, I think. I decided to embrace the plastic on this one, to incorporate the cartoony look LadyTear was looking for into the style I've been developing.

I think it kinda looks like one of those bumpy globes we had in elementary school, which is neat, but if I'm on the wrong track let me know and I'll backtrack and go for a more realistic look.

The mountains are done except for some icecaps ... the flat spot in mountain country on the highest peak will be covered by an icon for the point of interest LadyTear mentioned in the cities post earlier.

Next forests, and those pesky icecaps.

Wow! I think it looks really cool. I like the way it looks as is, so unless you think it would look a lot better the more realistic way or you would prefer it that way, then I say keep it. I did have a few questions. First, in the previous map there, in Delusia, there was a swirl on each end. Did you take that out or is it just not there because you havent rendered forests yet? Also I couldnt see the flat spot you talked about, could you give me a general description of where it is. The last question, you talked about putting in icecaps. I was wondering if you were also going to put in volcanos anywhere. The only place I figured they would be in in Holocaust. I love the way Holocaust looks, but if you dont think it would be that hard (or take away from how it looks) then maybe add some volcanos there. I am not sure how it would look, but it was a thought. Let me know what you think. Also, let me know if I am being irritating or if I am screwing with your image of it. I love your creativity on this, and I dont want to ruin that (you have added so much to the game so far).

Again, thanks for the great work, it looks amazing.

Yep, Delusia's just missing its forest. The river makes the swirl on the side with the mountain. The flat spot is between the middle two "peaks" on the coast, it's basically a flat square. The volcanoes and lava flows are their own whole undertaking, I wasn't even thinking of those with the mountains but I probably should have mentioned them. They're certainly coming. I was thinking I'd make most of those mountains in Holocaust volcanic, with "rivers" of lava running through the whole thing between the mountain ranges. I just have no clue how I'm actually gonna do it yet, lol.

So glad you like it

Ok, I think I found it, I needed to zoom in. BTW, I havent zoomed in before, and I have to say, wow. The details when I did so were amazing. I like what you said about Holocaust. Hopefully it wont be too hard. Overall, I am super impressed.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is coming along nicely.

One thing that kinda caught my eye is the transition from the sea to the chasm. It looks like it's missing something, maybe a inner shadow to give it some more 'depth' or something *shrugs*.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Agreed, SG, it's missing a lot. It actually has a drop shadow, but it's so dark it's barely visible. I was thinking maybe a bunch of foam/spray?

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

maybe have a waterfall going over the edge?

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

A waterfall would be ideal; sadly I'm afraid that might be beyond my skills I have a few dundjinni waterfall textures that I've been studying trying to figure out how they made the effect, but to no success so far.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast