Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Land / Sea Fill Textures

I make most of my textures using a photoshop filters from Alienware, so a tutorial wouldn't really be any help unless you had the filters.

Sorry

Info I know this is an old thread but...

Some may find this software useful. I have not actually used it but am an avid user of other products made by Mediachance. It is called Pattern Studio V.
    Here is a link:
    http://www.mediachance.com/patternstudio/index.html

hope someone finds it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I make most of my textures using a photoshop filters from Alienware, so a tutorial wouldn't really be any help unless you had the filters.

Sorry
    Do you mean Alien Skin? A tutorial would help me! I've twiddled around with some old Eye Candy and Xenofex filters in the past, but I never really took the time to learn how best to use them.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Yes, Alienskin...and I use the Xenoflex and Eye Candy filters which are stunning, because with a lot of them you can make them seamlessly tile by just ticking a box.

For example play around with the 'fur' filter, but make the colours blue and white. You can generate some pretty lovely sea textures using it. Using greeny colours is good for generating grass.

The other one which I use a lot is 'jiggle' use it on mountains and then use an emboss layer style to give your mountains some interesting edge shapes.

The 'little fluffy clouds' filter is a lot more powerful than photoshop's cloud filter, and you can make it seamlessly tile too.

'HSB variation' is another very useful tool to add interest to forests etc.

I'm not sure it's worth doing a tutorial for as so few people have it, but if there's more interest I'd be delighted to.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I had looked at buying a pc from Alienware but it was gonna cost 12 grand. Anywho, I'd like to see some tuts using Eye Candy and Xenofex as I have those and use them often but I try to do my tuts without their benefit...using "out of the box" tools for a more general audience. I had always wondered how many people had them and I didn't want to do tuts that required people to buy add-ons. If this proves to be a good idea I could throw my hat in the ring and contribute some info as well and with some other things I have.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I had looked at buying a pc from Alienware but it was gonna cost 12 grand. Anywho, I'd like to see some tuts using Eye Candy and Xenofex as I have those and use them often but I try to do my tuts without their benefit...using "out of the box" tools for a more general audience. I had always wondered how many people had them and I didn't want to do tuts that required people to buy add-ons. If this proves to be a good idea I could throw my hat in the ring and contribute some info as well and with some other things I have.
    Ascension, I'd love to see some Eye Candy / Xenoflex tuts! I'm just using the cracks filter to see if I can make some good tiling roads...

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Ascension, I'd love to see some Eye Candy / Xenoflex tuts! I'm just using the cracks filter to see if I can make some good tiling roads...
    Yeah, absolutely post filter tuts. That'd be really interesting to see.

Thanks! These textures help-me very much.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

As discussed elsewhere I'm making available a bunch of the textures I commonly use while making "satellite view" styled maps

I broke them down into basic categories for ease of reference. They can easily be used as is (I often do) or used as overlays with layer styles (another commone usage, for example all 3 ocean textures work well if you overlay them just right). The bulk of them are 512x512, all of them are seamless. Most of them (except one of the stone walls) were generated through Genetica.

Do with them as you will, just don't sell them without giving me a cut

Enjoy!
    (second post to follow with more)
    Attached Files Attached Files

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast