Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Caverns of the Deepening Doom

That elevation shading gives a whole new life to area #8. I flippin' love it.

This is a beautiful map and I rep thee!

Ashenvale - The items in the key are capitalized or not to add some flavor and elicit some creativity by the reader. I wanted to make some places sound important and others more subdued or mundane. I just got creative with the names and wanted them to build upon the atmosphere of the dungeon for the dungeon master. Give him more fuel to breath life into the adventure...they are not meant to be an explicit description of each encounter in the rooms, just flavor and direction for the dungeon master to build upon. Glad you like the map.

toff - Thanks! Thank you for your suggestions and opinions! Helped me with the creative process a great deal.
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

Quote Originally Posted by Ashenvale View Post
    the usual title capitalization rules throughout your key (capitalizing all first words, nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, relative pronouns over four letters in length, and all other pronouns, but not conjunctions, prepositions, articles and the like).
    I've never been a fan of NOT capitalizing those small words in titles. I have been capitalizing all words in a title. I find it unambiguous and pleasing.

While I'm up on my bitchbox .... I'm not a great fan of the numbered areas with an associated key, either. Titles on the actual sites themselves is far easier to read; it is also, however, usually far more difficult to achieve. I ight have to number-0key Woadsbury as the labels pile on. I'ma try not to.

Back on topic ...

Hey Tom_Cardin, you should consider a DEPTH GAUGE now: just a little bar on the side, graded with the same shades you used in the map, and marked numerically for vertical distance. I mean, entering #8 (from #6), you come to a dropoff; how far down is it? At 10 feet to a square, I'm guessing no more than about 10 feet of drop ... but it might be 5, or 25 ... we don't know.

And yeh wow @ the cross hatching. I'ma steal that technique (if I can find a place to use it!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	17345  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Another thought about the elevation - perhaps mark in the legend that each elevation level is a standard depth (5' or 10' or whatever) unless listed otherwise on the elevation itself? Then you could put in the same elevation marker but toss in a little 25' mark in with it for example.

Name:	drop[1].jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	17347  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    put in the same elevation marker but toss in a little 25' mark in with it for example.
    That's my plan for Woadsbury also: a graded elevation scale (which doesn't appear on the challenge entry, but earlier in the WIP), plus numeric elevation lines like the British Geological Survey.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Cardin View Post
    coyotemax - Thank you!

torstan - Thank you! Some shading in room 8 will definitely help and thanks for spotting my errant font in room 5 (nearly impossible to proof my own writing)

Here is the pattern I made for the crosshatching:
    Here is another one from a way back - variety is always good

P.S. Tom, can you please post your hatch pattern to the Mapping Resource forum, too? This will make it easier to find....along with adding a tag.

Thanks,

-Rob A>

toff - oh wow I didn't even think of having a key with a depth guage, that's a great idea. My thought is to have each shade represent a 5 foot depth, so that drop-off there would be 35 feet.

coyotemax - yup yup yup. What I said to toff. Good suggestion. Thanks.

RobA - Right O! I will put my quick description of how I made it in there as well. I hope there is an equivalent method in GIMP but I just don't know.
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

TomCardin

Thanks all for your input and critique it was most helpful. Here is my final

Name:	caverns_final.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	586.3 KB 
ID:	17429  

TomCardin

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I like your shading/legend idea better than mine. less clutter, and looks dangfine.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff!!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast