Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Make your own Aged Paper textures

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Cheers SG.

Edit: Um, it looks like you repped me for that. Not that I didn't put an awful lot of effort into carefully downloading all these textures, but I think repping me for it might be going a little over the top....
    Lollage!

Some more great stuff from you CM. Thanks a lot for the work put in.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Cheers SG.

Edit: Um, it looks like you repped me for that. Not that I didn't put an awful lot of effort into carefully downloading all these textures, but I think repping me for it might be going a little over the top....
    Oh well, I probably needed to rep you for something anyway
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well this inspired me to kill some time at work messing with some paper I spilled some of my lunch on. I started getting pretty out there with recolorings and other filtering processes on top of the scans...and one thing lead to another. I just started seeing the wrinkles as land features and not just textured background.

Thanks Coyotemax, this turned into a wonderful creative exercise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dirtypaper2.jpg 
Views:	1056 
Size:	3.28 MB 
ID:	17998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dirtypaper.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	4.39 MB 
ID:	17999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dirtypaper3.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	18000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jarda.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	18001  
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

Blog Entries

Oh my word. You made a map from a lunch spill? And not just a map but a really cool stylistically daring one?

You people make me sick.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That is just plain crazy brilliant cool.

I am so gonna play around with that idea when i get back from vacation

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Post Another technique I've seen for mountains...

Though I've never tried it, I've seen a technique where someone crumples a piece of paper, mostly flatten it out then scanned to make a reasonably realistic mountain range from the crumpled texture. Tom Hardin's experiment reminded me of that. Something I may want to try...

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Ramah - Thanks, but sorry if I made anyone sick hehe. When I was a kid in school we would take brown paper bags, cut them up so they were whatever shapes we needed and then wrinkle the snot out of them until they gained the appearance and texture of leather, then use that for arts and crafts.

Coyotemax - Thank you! Glad you created this thread...having done lots of paper wrinkling as a kid, it just never occured to me to scan it and photoshop it - sheer awesomeness in a bottle.

Gameprinter - that sounds like a really doable idea. I may just have to whip something up.
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

Ironically, Tom, that was exactly what I was thinking while looking at some of the shots from Coyotemax's upload with the drum skin.

As to the drum skin, Coyotemax, Brilliant! I never would have thought to do that. Now that makes me want to go start trying to get high-res images of the textures in other instruments for use in frames, plaques, etc in our maps. I'll post here if I manage to find some time and a camera for that.

-asp
    My current worldbuilding experiment(s):
    Geidor
    --------------------------------------------

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
    -W.B. Yeats

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Drumskin! I can't believe I missed that. I just bought a handmade drum a couple months ago; I am so gonna scan that. Great idea CM, and thanks asp for mentioning it so that I didn't overlook it completely.

Thanks, Coyotemax, for highlighting this technique. This floated into my brain once or twice while I was drinking my morning tea, then disappeared again. Your awesome results made me want to try this out, just before I tossed out the dregs Just thought I'd attach the results, if they could be of use to anyone, though they are not as gorgeous as yours. The drying was rough and ready by putting the paper on the radiator but it did crumple somewhat interestingly.

This was done in a hurry, as just an experiment - actually, I had two papers but I put them out on the balcony to dry, and one went 'gone with the wind' so to speak. Oh well - note to self, don't put anything out in the autumn wind without weighting them down first
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parchment 1.jpg 
Views:	2034 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	18512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parchment 2.jpg 
Views:	3583 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	18513  
    Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
    Hobbes : What mood is that?
    Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast