Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Make your own Aged Paper textures

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice results here Kangaroo!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Yes, that's actually very nice. I like the subtleness to the colour

**saves a copy**

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

You can also use a wash/sponge dabbing of lemon juice concentrate and bake the paper in the oven @ 250°F for five minutes or so. It gives a slightly different effect than tea. Careful not to start a fire!
    "Baby you can drive my car-tography, and maybe I'll love you."

I ran another set of textures.

This time I wanted to see what would happen with a combination of instant coffee (since i have a jar and never use it for anything since i only bought it for a single cheesecake recipe), lemon juice and oven heating.

Plus I was wondering how it would turn out with several layers of paper stacked in rather than individually like I had been doing before. I have to say it was a bit of a success - though I will say that placing sheets directly on the oven racks themselves ended up putting burn lines across the sheets (even at minimum temperature, it only took a few seconds for the lines to appear). Lesson learned, they go on baking sheets from now on

I have 16 in total (edited to remove the burn lines, they were too regular and artificial), and am putting together a zip file to be hosted on deviantart.com. Should I just post a link to the pack there, or would people like to see the textures hosted here as well? I suspect I'll have to upload them individually again, they're all in the 5k+ pixel range, and a zip file won't compress them that much.

[edit] Incidentally, I took one of the sheets and printed out a page from a necronomicon styled manuscript i'm helping to work on. I took all the parchment layers off and left the background white so the ink effects and shadings for the drawings would show through properly, and sent that to the printer. I have to say, it looks far more creepy that I was expecting, the red/brown shading really does look like it was inked with blood. I'm seriously considering setting up an entire physical book this way, printing out AFTER aging is so much more effective than printing before.
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 11-27-2009 at 12:15 PM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Links are good enough. Most of us check DA because it's a trustworthy site.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ok!

I have them separated out into packs of 7, with one fullsize texture as a preview in case someone just wants one, and not the whole pack

Some of these are a bit larger in filesize and dimensions than the ones I uploaded here. the first 12 are the same as the ones I placed here, so if you're looking to nab them all and already have the ones i posted early in the thread, you can skip the first pack.

http://coyotemax.deviantart.com/art/...ures-144970189
    http://coyotemax.deviantart.com/art/...es-2-144971173
    http://coyotemax.deviantart.com/art/...es-3-144971813
    http://coyotemax.deviantart.com/art/...es-4-144972405

Once again, all these textures are free to use by anyone for any purpose, no restrictions. But a nod in my direcion would be nice, and if you let me know, that would be even better

My finished maps

Blog Entries

Snagging them as I type.

I've had a quick look at them and they're really awesome. Thanks again for your work on this CM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

i've just been having a lot of fun making them

My finished maps

Guild Apprentice

Incredible stuff...really, very nice indeed!

Something I've actually tried in secondary... (highschool)... just Iron the paper... The result was, if I recall correctly, quite amazing, and it's actually very easy to control the dosage. Just remember NOT to use one of those fancy steam-irons...

You can go from a subtle recolour of the paper to a major yellowing.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast