Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voronoi Path plugin

Post Voronoi Path plugin

Introducing my Voronoi Path plugin for the GIMP. Using the Path tool, the user creates a set of points from which my plugin generates a Voronoi diagram. As one example of what you might do with it, below is the outline of a mythical country with 17 states. After defining the border of the country, I added 17 points each defining a single state, ran my Voronoi plugin, ran RobA's Fractalize script, and stroked the result. I put more points down south to simulate a higher density of population there. So the role of the plugin here was to automatically work out the borders of my states.

You can get the latest version here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ijontichy; 11-09-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: GIMP registry link

Nice one!

I saw that over at the plugin registry but haven't downloaded it yet.

There is another script I wrote as a part of a couple scripts I wrote for painting cartoons. I show multifill here. If your lines were solid, with the appropriate "map palette" you could just run multifill and it would colour them all for you.

(more detail on the plugin here at the GPR).

P.S. ijontichy- want to port it to C to speed it up? I know there a bunch of cartoonists who would be quite happy if you did.....

-Rob A>

RobA, it looks like an interesting project. That's a damned useful script. But I must admit, TinyScheme looks like gobbledygook to me. So I'm not sure if I could pull off a conversion to C. Some kind of algorithm pseudocode would come in handy. I'll start work on it when I finish making the additions to my Voronoi plugin.

Ooh, quite intriguing. I keep meaning to fire up GIMP and mess around with some supplementary mapping things in addition to Photoshop, and this just might be one of the scripts that gets me to do it!

Great work ijontichy!

-asp
    My current worldbuilding experiment(s):
    Geidor
    --------------------------------------------

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
    -W.B. Yeats

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Nice tool, this looks handy as all get out. Thanks for sharing it!

This is a fantastic combo! The instant I saw it I said to myself, "Self, that could make some easy city streets!" So I grabbed it (and RobA's Fractal Path) and booted up Coyotemax's aged paper. I planted path dots where my I wanted my major city sections, hit your Voronoi macaroni, RobA's fractal schmactal and boom, in like . . . one minute, I had a basic city plan laid out. Quickly pathed a city wall and Fractaled that too. Magic Wanded the sections dumped in AidyBaby's city tile (which I roofed and turned into a .pat days ago). Instant city!

Man I love you guys. I am new here and I want to post ond join the community and stuff but I have been so busy learning and downloading all the great stuff here that I haven't had time.

Hooray for the Cartographer's Guild and its stellar members. You guys all rock! I mean you really rock . . . like a hard rock band playing the Rocky theme song on top of Ayer's Rock while rock climber's climb the rock carrying 50 lb bags of rock salt.

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I have a question about how this works. I'm pretty new to GIMP and I'm wondering how you made it so that it only constructed the Voronoi Diagram within the boundary of the border you created? Or did it just generate one the size of the whole document, and then you just had to erase all of the lines outside the boundary? Thanks much for any help anyone can give me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast