Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Saderan – a tutorial

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Why isn't this tutorial 5-star rated yet? :s

Every man and his dog wants a Tear map making for their story at the moment and this little puppy tells you exactly how to make one. Come on people... rate this sucker up so that it can claim its rightful place in the pantheon of rather smug, medal-wearing tutorials that jeer at lesser tuts.

Apart from that, I've had a few hours testing this out tonight and so far I am very pleased with the results. It's very easy to follow apart from the previously mentioned Clipping Mask confusion and also I found a place or two in the ocean section where it could do with telling you to deselect your alpha selection.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to finish the tut tomorrow and I'll post up my results so that Tear can recieve a warm, glowy feeling inside.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

you are a god amongst men

Blog Entries

Ok, so this is what I have so far from this tutorial. I thought I'd post an image in this thread as another example of what us lesser non-Tears can expect to achieve through this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya_Tear.jpg 
Views:	1481 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	19302

When I started this it was supposed to be a quick test to see what I can do with it, hence using the original Vaniya base map. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to carry on with this and see what I can get out of it in the end so I'll probably have to add the extra rivers etc. that I added to the Aronbor map.

Anyway... loving this tut. Excellent stuff, Tear. Thanks.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Great mountain chains, reduces/removes the need for foothills.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Ok, so this is what I have so far from this tutorial. I thought I'd post an image in this thread as another example of what us lesser non-Tears can expect to achieve through this.

When I started this it was supposed to be a quick test to see what I can do with it, hence using the original Vaniya base map. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to carry on with this and see what I can get out of it in the end so I'll probably have to add the extra rivers etc. that I added to the Aronbor map.

3 years after you did the map a congratulation from me. Really one of my favorite of this style. How did you manage to make these very good looking mountains (if you remember after all this time)?

And of course, Saderan you did really great job with your tutorial.

OMG this tutorial is awesome, I was looking for it and I never hoped to find something so good in a PDF file, btw these maps are awesome:

Quote Originally Posted by Nite View Post
    Made this bad boy last nigh, took me a while but i think its beautiful. Thanks for the great tutorial.

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	59438
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandTom View Post
    This tutorial is simply incredible. I think my only critique would be that it suggests an initial canvas size of 1000x1000 pixels and then it suggests that you halve the size later on. 500x500 pixels is almost completely useless as far as printing is concerned, especially if you want a final product that will print at a good poster size.

That said, I would like to reiterate how completely and utterly fantastic this tutorial is. It is easy to follow and understand and for anyone familiar with Photoshop it's also incredibly easy to tweak to one's own liking. I love the style of map this tutorial provides and plan on making more maps using what I've learned here in the future.

Name:	The Lands of Eridor.jpg 
Views:	607 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	39813
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post

But another thing, any tips of how to put great cities, roads, a volcano on a island, and city names in a good looking way in the map?

How can I improve my map? Seems so silly.

Name:	Mapa 1024.png 
Views:	235 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	71409
    Last edited by Qoff; 03-06-2015 at 08:41 PM.

An awesome tutorial!
    Sadly, I'm having a few problems with this tutorial...
    I'll be quite detailed here, so please excuse the wall of text.

(Oh, I am using Photoshop CS4)

Part 2 - Page 5
    After I've created the "ocean emphasis texture" layer,
    I can't "group with previous". I can, however, select both the "ocean emphasis texure" layer and the "ocean emphasis" layer and then group them together by doing:
    layer > group layers (or ctrl+G)

Now; I realise that it could simply be because I am using CS4, the point is; I don't know ...

My second problem is the step afterwards (which I attempted after grouping the "ocean emphasis texture" and the "ocean emphasis" layer with ctrl+G).
    When I move on it says that I should;
    Edit > Fill ... Pattern (wrinkles) - but there's my problem; I don't have the "wrinkles" pattern! (Or any other pattern for that matter, except "bubbles" and "tie dye")

So basically... How do I add more patterns?

I give many thanks in advance
    The end
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

I also have CS4 and I think it seems as if it only comes with two textures, but I discovered that if you click the arrow, you will see more textures pools, they've got names like 'Artistic Surfaces', 'Nature Patterns. I simply load append them all. I don't know whether this helps, but I think you will likely find the texture your missing this way.

Quote Originally Posted by terminal View Post
    I also have CS4 and I think it seems as if it only comes with two textures, but I discovered that if you click the arrow, you will see more textures pools, they've got names like 'Artistic Surfaces', 'Nature Patterns. I simply load append them all. I don't know whether this helps, but I think you will likely find the texture your missing this way.
    Hmm, I can't see any more texture pools when I click the arrow... anyone?
    Last edited by Aenigma; 12-12-2009 at 05:00 AM.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast