Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hand-drawn map elements

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

I am hoping beyond hope that santa will bring me a tablet for Christmas so I can try my hand at my own. I am useless with the mouse :S

Blog Entries

Ok, here are the last of the city icons I'm gonna do for now. They don't take long to do so I will knock up some more another day but I seem to get bogged down in doing the little bits that go into them.
    So today I shaded all the fixed churches. Did another quick tower. Added some more house outlines. And did two more cities.

None of the new houses have chimneys yet and the new L-shaped ones are all over the place with windows and doors - a side-effect of me rotating and merging - but I ran out of steam to do them tonight. I'll clean them up another day.

Anyway, here's the stuff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City4.jpg 
Views:	2428 
Size:	278.3 KB 
ID:	19456
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

These are simply great brushes. Thanks for sharing 'em.

Thanks for all the time spent... I am eagerly awaiting the brush pack upload...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I'll do it this evening when I'm able to get more than a few minutes on here.

Btw, is there a way to reorder brushes in a pack? Renaming them doesn't seem to move them to alphabetically sorted, they just remain in the order in which they were created. At the moment they are all over the place.
    Do I need to delete them all and repopulate my list from scratch?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Blog Entries

Ok, I've updated the original post with the new brush packs (markers are now separated into two different packs: shaded and outlined).

The pack names have changed as a result of this so if you downloaded the previous marker pack then it will still be there in your brush directory. Feel free to delete this.

I've also updated the image in the original post so you can see exactly what is in the current packs.

Hopefully someone will find these things beneficial.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Hopefully someone will find these things beneficial.

Enjoy.
    I KNOW I WILL!!! THANKS!! I have to spread more rep, but will get back to you as soon as I can. I would love if you could continue doing more as your time permits as you have very good skills. Things I would not mind seeing:

• More large settlements with multiple houses, perhaps including a single central building or two(or keep)
    • A few ruined castles, towers, etc would be great...
    • Though I doubt I would use it in the near future, perhaps a brush for an ISO farmland. I think this is one I can do myself and may give it a shot in the next few days.. Just imagine a series of crosshatches (perhaps 4-5 lines per inch, then rotate 90 degrees and then rotate the whole thing to fit ISO perspective...)
    • more of everything already included....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Ramah you rock! I have an idea of a nifty way to use these. Another couple things that wouldnt hurt would be ports and maybe a wall. Thanks for all the hard work you are putting into these. I think I speak for everyone when I say it is much appreciated!

Each time I visit this thread I feel like repping you... need to spread around some rep first
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Just wanna show that with a bit of judicious selection and cropping (I actually did not use masks here, though thats probably what I should have done), I combined 4 of the brush elements into a singe "town". The first one is straight up and the second one is the with the texture (set to overlay mode) above everything... this gives the whole thing a more cartoony effect.

If I am remembering properly, this is:

Markers_Shaded.abr-001
    Markers_Shaded.abr-006
    Markers_Shaded.abr-010
    Markers_Shaded.abr-012
    Markers_Shaded.abr-013

I added a color layer beneath with some rather hideous color combos(yes, I like bold). I also blurred the "bottoms" of the lines quite a bit to get them to blend into the background color as well as put a bit of a blur over the rest of the line work. Also, on a new layer in a few places I added a bit more texture to some of the roofs that seemed to flat to make it appear a bit more like planks/shingles.

Again, thanks a TON to Ramah for all the time spent on these!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Towns.png 
Views:	318 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	19527   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Towns Scratchy.png 
Views:	269 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	19528  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast