Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Forester

Blog Entries

That batch file certainly soundslike an interesting idea. That might be one for Fluesopp to implement though.
    I have an idea that might make jittered trees stay in the alpha mask area more. It shouldn't be too hard to implement either. It might slow the program down even more though but meh. Waiting a few more seconds is still a LOT faster than spending hours on a single forest.
    Btw, it will be the accumalative jitter that is making the most change to the trees going over your mask area I would guess. The other jitters just move the trees a small amount relative to the size of the tree. The accumalative one moves them relative to the size of the density and has a knock-on effect with the trees in the same row/column. It's meant for forests where the density is turned down so you get lots of randomness there.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you thought the generated forests were not coming out as square as they should be. Or I guess the same as the aplhamask? Is this still the case? Or is it this jitter that is making them appear out do you think? I ask because the statement has been bothering me and although the shapes seem ok to me, there is obviously something wrong when you use taller trees. The shape seems ok still but you need to leave quite a large blank area at the top of your mask or trees seem to get cut off. I'm guessing there's a problem with the scaling somewhere but I'll need to think on it.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Yeah, it was the accumulative jitter that's killing me. I'll turn that off and try the next round with the correctly shaded brushes Incidentally, here's the brushes arranged by lightsource direction as requested (took longer to rename the folders than it did to batch process them, woot)
    Attached Files Attached Files

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Yeah, it was the accumulative jitter that's killing me. I'll turn that off and try the next round with the correctly shaded brushes Incidentally, here's the brushes arranged by lightsource direction as requested (took longer to rename the folders than it did to batch process them, woot)
    Interesting. I cannot edit my posts. Well, i can edit, but then I cannot save. *note to self - mention to Arcana* Anyhow, Ramah - Interesting behaviour discovered - without a folder titled "Default Brushes" exactly as spelled, it won't allow me to open a new brush directory - won't allow a requester of any kind. Oops.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

That directory is hard-coded into the program as the place to first look for brushes. You can replace the brushes in there with some you'd sooner have it start with if you like but yeah, don't change it.

Btw, I think you may need the accumalative jitter on as it does look like you lowered the density of your forests. I doubt you will have enough jitter without it. I'll have a think about the problem and see if I can get a fix out later to make them stay in the confines of the mask more.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

I ran a quick test, and it seems to work ok without the cumulative. there's a few trees going well outside of the mask, but only 2 or 3 as opposed to anything that's near the edge We'll see, I'll run them all through and see what happens. Oh, and you may want to rename/adjust the directory names from the zipfile then. Now that I think about it, the default set didn't have any shading on it anyhow, right

My finished maps

Guild Apprentice

Ramah, if you upload that source code, I can try to implement it into the UI I'm making.
    It's pretty impressive, what you have managed to do with the simple code. Where exactly do you change it? In the tree gen method or in the paint method?

Here's what happens when I have the current settings Scale 10, X/Y 4 each, X and Y normal Jitter, tree spaces. The thing that's most interesting is the huge space it causes across the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	21348  

My finished maps

Blog Entries

Dammit! The forum swallowed the answer I just typed. :@

Fluesopp: I changed loads of things. I'll upload the source for you later.

CM: The banding is due to how it starts a little in from the edge when drawing. If you want a square edge like that on your forest, I would recommend leaving a blank space at the top of your alpha so that the forest starts a little way in and avoid that band. Size permitting of course.
    As to the trees being out of the alpha... the ones near the edge will be down to jitter. The other ones which are way out I would suspect are placed on an area of your alpha that is not quite completely empty. I see you have a thin line of grean at the bottom of one of your sections showing where you went across with an eraser. I would guess that there are other, smaller places where you didn't quite erase it all and the program found that spot to place a tree on.
    Looks like you need more jitter on that btw. The diagonals are far too uniform. I'm working on getting the cumulative to behave better with the mask boundaries now.

Bad, bad forum...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Ramah: is there a way to add in control over the jitter? And you might be right about the artifacts pulling trees over to them, but I thought I was pretty good at getting rid of those

My finished maps

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast